PDA

View Full Version : Which CASE?!

MisoHappy
08-17-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm going to buy new a tweed case for my new ukulele :D I'm absolutely positive I want a tweed.

Just one holdup though, which MODEL?

Regular (https://secureuke.com/uke/case-hard-tweed-tenor-size-gold-tweed-cases-for-that-classic-1920s-look.html)

Rectangle (http://cgi.ebay.com/FREMONT-TWEED-TENOR-RECTANGLE-HARD-CASE-Classy-Look_W0QQitemZ270321322076QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNa meZRSS:B:SRCH:US:102)

This is my first time asking a question like this (I think), but I RLY RLY RLY need help this time. I know some of yall have one of these, what can you tell me?

Oh, but I forgot to tell yall about my new uke! I totally forgot. It's a Kala Ka-KTE-C, curly koa, active pickup, cutaway, came with Aquila's (which I am changing ASAP!)

Thanks in advance for the help, I know I can always come straight here for advice :)

Link
08-17-2009, 10:20 AM
Congrats on the sweet new uke.

I'd definitely go for a shaped case. The extra room in the car trunk is useful. You wouldn't think so, but it really is if you're lugging an amp, mic, stands, etc around. Plus I just think it looks better.

Anyone else?

bt93
08-17-2009, 10:23 AM
go for the non-rectangle case

sukie
08-17-2009, 10:56 AM
I vote regular. You sure you want tweed? Can't put stickers on it. Just my opinion.

J-Machine
08-17-2009, 11:00 AM
I don't know why but I like the rectangular one. It has this nice look to it but then again I've never been to keen on cases that show off the fact you are lugging around a uke or guitar.

MisoHappy
08-17-2009, 11:04 AM
I vote regular. You sure you want tweed? Can't put stickers on it. Just my opinion.

Haha, I'm not the sticker type. I like it clean, although I still like the cases jam packed with stickers, it does look cool. And If I ever do want stickers, I have another case for that (http://www.dhcdesigns.com/ohuhacate.html)

MisoHappy
08-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Congrats on the sweet new uke.

I'd definitely go for a shaped case. The extra room in the car trunk is useful. You wouldn't think so, but it really is if you're lugging an amp, mic, stands, etc around. Plus I just think it looks better.

Anyone else?

Yeah, size is always a factor. I think the only reason I'm partial to the rectangular is because It looks like an electric guitar case :D

thanks btw, and we didn't spend a penny on her

GrumpyCoyote
08-17-2009, 11:11 AM
I have one of each... I love them both. Get the shaped.

The reason being airline travel. At tenor size, ukes are just over most overhead bin regulations... they tend to overlook it because of the the thin neck. It is MUCH easier to cram into the bin and thus aviod checking it at the door.

If you don't fly, then it's almost a non-issue, but as John said, trunk space can be a pain too.

As for stickers... Aldrine has stickers all over his tweed case. Seems to be ok.

uke552
08-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Tweed shaped case! I will be getting one myself soon, they look cool and vintage.

sukie
08-17-2009, 11:21 AM
As for stickers... Aldrine has stickers all over his tweed case. Seems to be ok.

Thanks Grumpy. Good to know. That had me scared off of them.

MisoHappy
08-17-2009, 11:21 AM
I have one of each... I love them both. Get the shaped.

The reason being airline travel. At tenor size, ukes are just over most overhead bin regulations... they tend to overlook it because of the the thin neck. It is MUCH easier to cram into the bin and thus aviod checking it at the door.

If you don't fly, then it's almost a non-issue, but as John said, trunk space can be a pain too.

I forgot Aldrine has a tweed, haha. I feel like wannabe D: Yay @ the sticker thing, though!

Another thing I forgot to mention is that I can just drive to MGM's if get the rectangular, otherwise I have to order it, but I guess it doesn't matter much anymore.

EDIT: I don't travel very often, at most twice a year, and that's only to Kauai :)

sukie
08-17-2009, 11:30 AM
...Just drive to MGM's... Do you know how much that hurts? :D I'm insanely jealous. If I could, I'd live in Honolulu.

MisoHappy
08-17-2009, 11:35 AM
...Just drive to MGM's... Do you know how much that hurts? :D I'm insanely jealous. If I could, I'd live in Honolulu.

Haha, don't be too jealous, Hawaii isn't ALL that great when your stuck here. I would love to travel further than to Kauai. T.T

Do you know how long that drive is?! From Mililani to Kaneohe? That's a killer drive :D Jk

Ukeffect
08-17-2009, 11:36 AM
I would (and have) gone for the regular case unless of course you are trying to fit a cigar box uke...then, a rectagular case maight be the right choice! *Just being maddeningly unhelpful, aren't I?*
:nana::music:

MisoHappy
08-17-2009, 11:38 AM
I would (and have) gone for the regular case unless of course you are trying to fit a cigar box uke...then, a rectagular case maight be the right choice! *Just being maddeningly unhelpful, aren't I?*
:nana::music:

Nah, you just made me realize how much I want a cigar box uke D:

A lot more ppl have tweed than I expected

sukie
08-17-2009, 11:40 AM
I seem to be following you amongst the threads today -- Do you know how far the drive to California is from Minnesota? Then the swim to Hawaii would be no picnic either.

I don't know where you live. I do know where MGM is located. I looked it up on a map. I think I've driven through there years ago.

And, IMO, Hawaii is fabulous. What don't you like? It's got great weather, beautiful scenery, it smells heavenly, Honolulu is lovely, it's got everything you need plus more. What a lifestyle. It suits me! (I'm still jealous!:D)

caz
08-17-2009, 11:42 AM
I love my tweed case. Unfortunately so does my cat and I've caught her using it as a scratching post a few times.

MisoHappy
08-17-2009, 11:45 AM
I love my tweed case. Unfortunately so does my cat and I've caught her using it as a scratching post a few times.

Oh NO!!!! I have a cat too. I'll have to guard it from that little monster

MisoHappy
08-17-2009, 11:50 AM
I seem to be following you amongst the threads today -- Do you know how far the drive to California is from Minnesota? Then the swim to Hawaii would be no picnic either.

I don't know where you live. I do know where MGM is located. I looked it up on a map. I think I've driven through there years ago.

And, IMO, Hawaii is fabulous. What don't you like? It's got great weather, beautiful scenery, it smells heavenly, Honolulu is lovely, it's got everything you need plus more. What a lifestyle. It suits me! (I'm still jealous!:D)

I live right smack dab in the middle of Oahu, up on a hill, in Mililani. At least we get all the rain :P

It's not so much that I don't like it here, but I just wanna see something else. And what heavenly smell, you said you wanted to live in Honolulu? Smells like asphalt and exhaust, blech. Now if you were to go to Maui now there's a nice smell.

I've got everythin I need, plus a shizload of Homework -3-

ukulele2544
08-17-2009, 12:17 PM
I would get the Regular (https://secureuke.com/uke/case-hard-tweed-tenor-size-gold-tweed-cases-for-that-classic-1920s-look.html) one.

MisoHappy
08-17-2009, 12:21 PM
I didn't get any replies in favor of rectangular, so I'll probably go for the shaped, but I'll wait a little longer...

bbycrts
08-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Is that a tenor (KA-TE-C - I think that's Tenor, Electronics, Cutaway?)?

Call MGM and see if he has the Kala tweed case...I have a Kala black case (got it from him with a uke inside of it!) and it is great. Shaped, BTW...

MisoHappy
08-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Is that a tenor (KA-TE-C - I think that's Tenor, Electronics, Cutaway?)?

Call MGM and see if he has the Kala tweed case...I have a Kala black case (got it from him with a uke inside of it!) and it is great. Shaped, BTW...

Yep, I kinda overveiwed it in the intro, I'll have pics in a little...
The reason I'm not getting the Kala tweed is because I like the square head. Otherwise I would've got the Kala case

MisoHappy
08-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Ok, I'm downloading the pictures now, I'll have it out by today :D

MisoHappy
08-17-2009, 03:33 PM
I finally got the pictures to download...so hea, I took these pictures today, sorry about the quality, I couldn't find better lighting. And my dog got curious, so I took a picture of him too

experimentjon
08-17-2009, 03:48 PM
I also will put my support out for the shaped case. I guess with ukulele cases it wouldn't be too bad, but I have one rectangular guitar case, and that thing is just unnecessarily large. But overall, there's a lot of wasted volume and extra bulkiness with rectangular cases.

mrUKETOBER
08-17-2009, 04:14 PM
im with john on this one ... shaped cases are much better in my opinion .. ive had to load drums guitars amps and mics in a car before and that extra room is veeeeery much appreciated

MisoHappy
08-17-2009, 04:25 PM
If only I could find a store that sells them here...

mrUKETOBER
08-17-2009, 04:29 PM
not too many sell tweed let alone tweed shaped.. but good luck :D

SamUke
08-17-2009, 04:41 PM
I picked up a Fremont tweed and really like it a lot, nicely padded and gives more to the vintage look with the tweed. MGM is the man too, had it to me in days.

itsme
08-17-2009, 04:45 PM
I like shaped cases better, too. The rectangular ones just don't look like instrument cases, IMO. Also, as mentioned, they add a bit of unnecessary bulk and weight.

I have two heavy-duty shaped guitar cases, one blonde (tweed) and one brunette (black). They weigh over 10 lbs. each to hold a guitar that's under 3 lbs. Can't imagine having any extra unneeded weight for a rectangular.

Also, the "shape" makes it easier to store more instruments under your bed. They kind of nestle together since you can alternate the fat and thin ends. :)

sukie
08-17-2009, 04:50 PM

Miso, now you sound like we do when we moan about ordering ukuleles!:biglaugh:

MisoHappy
08-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Miso, now you sound like we do when we moan about ordering ukuleles!:biglaugh:

T^T

nuff said

sukie
08-17-2009, 05:05 PM
T^T

nuff said

Hey Miso -- what does T^T mean?:confused:

MisoHappy
08-17-2009, 05:22 PM
It's a not-smiley T^T
(eye, mouth, eye)

experimentjon
08-17-2009, 06:13 PM

Wait, do you mean uke cases?

Because a ton of places sell them here. Closest to you with the best prices would prob be Easy Music Center in Pearl City. I've never visited Hawaii Music Supply in Wahiwa because I've heard unfavorable reviews, but they'd be even closer to you. The Palm Tree black hardcase at EMC would probably be your best bet, around $50 last time I went... Actually to be honest, I'm not sure if they have the uke cases at EMC Pearl City, but should, because they carry them at the King St location.

Ronnie Aloha
08-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Can't you run over to Ko'olau in Wahiawa and pick up one of their Oahu cases?

jdmcnasty
08-17-2009, 06:30 PM
I vote the shaped case. I have one and absolutely adore it!

MisoHappy
08-17-2009, 07:03 PM
Wait, do you mean uke cases?

Because a ton of places sell them here. Closest to you with the best prices would prob be Easy Music Center in Pearl City. I've never visited Hawaii Music Supply in Wahiwa because I've heard unfavorable reviews, but they'd be even closer to you. The Palm Tree black hardcase at EMC would probably be your best bet, around $50 last time I went... Actually to be honest, I'm not sure if they have the uke cases at EMC Pearl City, but should, because they carry them at the King St location.

Oh, no no, I think you misunderstood. I meant this specific case, not just cases. I know they sell a tweed at Easy Music, and maybe at Island Guitars, but not the one with the square head.

Any locals know if they sell it?

sukie
08-18-2009, 08:02 AM
It's a not-smiley T^T
(eye, mouth, eye)

Is it a bad thing or a good thing?

MisoHappy
08-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Is it a bad thing or a good thing?

ur funny :D

does the face look happy?

sukie
08-18-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm not sure.

MisoHappy
08-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Never mind, but seriously, does anyone know where I can find THIS (https://secureuke.com/uke/case-hard-tweed-tenor-size-gold-tweed-cases-for-that-classic-1920s-look.html) case on Oahu?

JBennett
09-24-2009, 08:37 AM
I just ordered up a Rectangular Fremont tweed case for my Martin s-o. I liked the idea that it was less conspicuous as an instrument case, while still being a nice old fashioned case. Kind of mysterious. PLUS, you get more room for storing accessories without having them kicking around loosely by the headstock, or body.

I've always been a big fan of the fender guitar cases and have a tweed case for my Telecaster so this will be a nice match.