PDA

View Full Version : Arpeggios for Beginners

ihavenotea
08-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Doe anyone know of a site that has some good arpeggios for a beginning player?

I often find a song that I feel will sound better with arpeggiated picking behind it then straight ahead strumming, but I don't have a repertoire of arpeggios to pull from.

DRANKLIVE
08-17-2009, 01:30 PM
I guess you can kind of just make them up.

But here's one lesson, it's about the guitar but you can adapt it to the ukulele: http://www.activemusician.com/Basic-Fingerpicking--t13i32

ihavenotea
08-17-2009, 02:09 PM
I guess you can kind of just make them up.

But here's one lesson, it's about the guitar but you can adapt it to the ukulele: http://www.activemusician.com/Basic-Fingerpicking--t13i32

That lesson looks interesting. I will have to read though and play with it tonight or tomorrow.

The trouble I have when trying to make them up is my utter lack of rhythmic intuition. I am working to fix that and trying to pay more attention to the drums whenever I listen to anything these days.

I probably could invest more time just trying to work some out.

the.ronin
08-17-2009, 04:15 PM
What is arpeggios?

Capt Amazo
08-17-2009, 04:42 PM
I believe arpeggios are chords played one note at a time, picking the strings in sequence rather than strumming them all at once. Sort of a form of sweep-picking.

If I remember correctly, anyway.

As for examples of it, not too sure. You could simply play a song slower and use arpeggio rather than strumming, thats what I do during the verses of my Hot N Cold cover.

Good luck learning! :D

the.ronin
08-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Ah thanks for that explanation ... I think some chords in "Lion King" just before the finger plucking are played that way. At least that's how I play it.

Is it pronounced "ah-prej-eos"?

Bluke
08-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Just make them up? What you talking about!?

Arpeggios are five note scales that connect the root notes that are an octave apart. They are the basis for a lot of melodies and soloing and are used in jazz, gypsy, pop music, and so many other applications. There are major and minor ones. They are a great exercise to learn to pick single notes and to build creative solos from. Search the net for ukulele arpeggios.

HoldinCoffee
08-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Yeh, I just make 'em up too. I listen to the song, get a feel for the chords and start pluckin'. Sometimes it sounds all wrong so I start over. Other times its just right. :cheers:

J-Machine
08-18-2009, 03:19 AM
After a little bit of googling I came accross these books. They might be what you are looking for. http://www.curtsheller.com/books/QS1UKES.shtml

ihavenotea
08-18-2009, 06:35 AM
I found this page (http://liveukulele.com/lessons/picking-patterns/) on Live 'Ukulele that is more or less what I was looking for.

A place to start at least.

Lori
08-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Ah thanks for that explanation ... I think some chords in "Lion King" just before the finger plucking are played that way. At least that's how I play it.

Is it pronounced "ah-prej-eos"?

In Los Angeles we would pronounce it "ar- peh- gee- os"
–Lori

ihavenotea
08-18-2009, 08:04 AM
In Los Angeles we would pronounce it "ar- peh- gee- os"
–Lori

Thanks to Hollywood, Californian English is The English.

With half the vowels we have way more potential puns!

lernon
08-18-2009, 10:36 AM
i'm just gonna name the string so, some easy ones are : for 3/4 GCEAEC for 4/4 GCECACEC

those should be pretty easy all you have to do is put a chord on and it should be fine

ihavenotea
08-18-2009, 10:43 AM
i'm just gonna name the string so, some easy ones are : for 3/4 GCEAEC for 4/4 GCECACEC

those should be pretty easy all you have to do is put a chord on and it should be fine

Thanks! These are quite handy. Nice sounding little patterns. And I can think of simple ways to modify they based on where the root of the chord is.

Very cool. This was exactly what I was looking for. A little push in the right direction.

Bluke
08-18-2009, 06:06 PM

I have no idea what you're talking about.

ihavenotea
08-19-2009, 06:30 AM
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Lernon is suggesting this:
In 3/4:

|----x---|
|---x-x--|
|--x---x-|
|-x------|

In 4/4:

|-----x----|
|---x---x--|
|--x-x-x-x-|
|-x--------|

Where "x" is the fret number needed for the chord you with so arpeggiate. (i.e., if you hold the chord and pluck one of those pattens you get an arpeggio of that chord.)

DRANKLIVE
08-23-2009, 10:08 AM
Aldrine has his ear to the ground.

Uke Minutes 58 - Arpeggios (http://ukuleleunderground.com/2009/08/22/uke-minutes-58-arpeggios/)

buddhuu
08-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Just make them up? What you talking about!?

Arpeggios are five note scales that connect the root notes that are an octave apart. They are the basis for a lot of melodies and soloing and are used in jazz, gypsy, pop music, and so many other applications. There are major and minor ones. They are a great exercise to learn to pick single notes and to build creative solos from. Search the net for ukulele arpeggios.

Well, actually, it is quite possible to make up arpeggios. Someone will have made them up before, but there's nothing wrong with deciding on the spur of the moment which chord tones to select.

Arpeggios are not necessarily "five note scales". An arpeggio is a chord played one note at a time rather than all notes simultanously. I believe the word actually means fragmented or broken chord, or something like that.

If you fingerpick a chord one note at a time then you're playing an arpeggio.

Never mind worrying about five note scales: I think you'll find those are pentatonics, not arpeggios. ;)

Bluke
08-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the update, Bud!