Will my fingers ever...

Cecilg

Reaction score
start to feel normal again? I'm only into the uke 2 weeks and practicing 1-3 hours per day I have calluses pretty thick and my hands get a little stiff after a while. does this go away. I know I'm a little older to start something new like this but I'm enjoying it very much and learning a little along as well. Of course I'm still just on basic chords at this point ,which leads to another question. How long should I work on chords before trying to learn a bit of picking? I have no musical background therefore very green in this area.
Thank you for this forum and your help in this.

Cecil
Mainland Concert

Yes, you will feel normal again. Whatever normal is.:D

I started about a year and a half ago and pretty much went straight to picking. I will offer you this -- check out all the UU lessons and stuff. I'm not a computer literate-type person so I can't put up links, but poke around here and you'll find something to hold your interest. Lots of people will chime in with suggestions for you.

Welcome to UU. Have fun!:D

Don't know how old you are, but I am 63 and just started.....I have been playing guitar since I was 15 but I find the uke is so much easier on my fingers!!!

Start picking and good luck!!!

start to feel normal again? I'm only into the uke 2 weeks and practicing 1-3 hours per day I have calluses pretty thick and my hands get a little stiff after a while. does this go away. I know I'm a little older to start something new like this but I'm enjoying it very much and learning a little along as well. Of course I'm still just on basic chords at this point ,which leads to another question. How long should I work on chords before trying to learn a bit of picking? I have no musical background therefore very green in this area.
Thank you for this forum and your help in this.

Cecil
Mainland Concert

Awww, I want calluses! Calluses are good, means your practicing hard, and that your fingers wont hurt as much later on when your playing. It does go away, though. Just take it easy for a few days, then start beck up again. And start picking whenever you fell comfortable with your strumming.

Calluses are good, but sometimes they can get pretty rough. I'm guessing "cecil" is a guy, but some of the ladies here can probably attest to having snagged their pantyhose with rough calluses. I've been known to actually smooth them down with a nail file.

As for fingerpicking, I've been at it since day one. There are lots of tabs out there, it's pretty easy to learn. Start with pieces you're familiar with or at least can find a video/mp3 of to get an idea how it's supposed to sound.

One thing you'll find is that many picking patterns involve chords anyway.

None for me…

I have been playing for three months and have had neither discomfort in my fingers, nor callouses.

One of the things I like about the ukulele is it is not brutal on your hands like a steal stringed guitar (my son had a mini steel string that I tried to play and gave up due to the finger thing).

Yet I keep seeing various posts in the beginners forum about sore fingers and callous maintenance. When I see these posts in the other forums, I presume it is folks who are playing with high tension strings.

So I am confused: do most beginners suffer from finger problems? Is it a physiology issue? Or do some beginners start with higher tension strings?

Or is it because I am playing a Soprano? (i.e., do concerts and tenors have higher tension due to the longer string length?)

Thanks for the info and help.

dparrothead1, Thanks. I'm still a kid (although a 58 yr old one).

Sukie, I will continue the lessons here and elsewhere on the net. There are some great ones I've found so far.

Ihavenotea, I'm not sure if the concert is any higher tension than a soprano. I'll have to let someone that knows answer that and I would be interested in knowing as well.

itsme, I am a guy so I don't guess I'll get the calluses caught on my pantyhose. I did read somewhere about olive oil on your fingers though. Sounds like it may help.

nic579, thanks for posting the links. I appreciate that a bunch. I'm not the best with the computer and I don't post on any forums so please bear with me.

Again thanks for everything and any more insight is greatly appreciated.

I think Tenors do have a higher tension, but also have different string gauges and they're still easy to play.

I think anyone who complains about their hands hurting playing Ukes with their four soft strings, low tension and easy stretches, need to spend some time with steel string acoustics for a while. Not a low action electric, but a badly set up cheapo steel string with it's cheese slicer wire strings.

They'll quickly learn how easy Uke players really have it.

:shaka:

I hit the same problem after my first couple weeks: my fingertips began to develop callouses that felt thick and rough, and it made touching things with my fingertips (such as a computer keyboard) feel awful.

I used lots of hand lotion to keep the callouses from cracking, and would occasionally use a nail file to gently remove some of the dead skin (but avoided the temptation to actually peel off the callous), and the problem eventually went away. Now my fingertips are tough enough to play a uke for hours, but don't have a thick layer of dead skin on them. I think hand lotion is the key - don't let the tips of your fingers become dry and peeling.

My fingers are killing me.

A couple of years ago I bought a very cheap uke off the internet and the strings promptly broke. Two days ago, I pulled it back out and bought new strings; only, I live in Atlanta and I'm not sure where to buy decent uke strings. Guitar Center only had Baritone strings made by CF Martin, and the G and C strings are wound in nickle instead of being made out of fluorocarbon or nylon. In addition, the nut on my cheap uke is much too tall which makes the action way too low (low, right?). Pressing down strings on the first fret, especially the G and C strings, requires a surprising amount of finger strength--even compared to my guitar, bass or resonator (which has the highest gauge strings available). After a day of playing my fingers are killing me. One day soon I'll buy a better ukulele, and order some decent strings.

Drank, I think if you want decent strings in Atlanta you have to look on the internet. I'm in Gwinnett and the only thing anybody out here has is Martins. I mostly play baritone and my index finger gets pretty rough sometimes. I do most of my slides with my index and think my finger roughness may have as much to do with running my fingers across some rough fret edges as it does with the strings. I don't know why I'm doing stuff with a lot of slides, seeing as how I am crappy, but it's still fun anyway.

finger picking you can start when ever you want to. and as far as the fingers. your fingers will become more seasoned later on in ur ukulele career.

I may be using more pressure than needed. Not sure. But I do have trouble with some of the chords not coming through clear if i don't. Also I think the amount of time per day designated to practice may have something to do with it. I have been practicing as much as I can because I want to learn this but also because I'm enjoying it.
As for strings in Atlanta, I live north of Atlanta approx. 45 miles and have not found anyone that has anything up this way. I did go to Uke Republic which is where I bought my uke. He carries strings as well as a pretty good selection of ukes and cases. Very nice to deal with I might add. Mike had a lot of patience as it took me a long time to make a decision.

After the first weeks i aquired some Aquila strings and remarked that they need less finger pressure. Maybe a string change can ease your pain :shaka:?

If not, try to press your left fingers as relaxed as possible on the frets.

Thanks. I have the Aquilas on there now. I'll try less pressure though and see how that does.
Again thanks,

Top Bottom