About my new uke (Legacy brand)

kissing

Reaction score
Hehe, I got a new baritone uke today :D
Transferring the chords to play in tune is going to take a bit of getting used to (i haven't played guitar), but I'm having a lot of fun.

Picked it up from a local music store in Australia (Billy Hyde music).
The brand is "Legacy". Solid spruce top, comfortable action (the saddle seems to have been sanded), good sound.

baritone.jpg

first vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeK9QGSAPO4

What I found interesting is that Legacy model ukuleles seem to be the SAME as many Kala ukuleles. The headstock, body appear the same and the acoustic-electric ones come with the same Shadow pickups as the Kala do.

Aside from brandname, they appear to be identical.
They must be made in the same factory :confused:

Last edited:
I noticed this alot recently with popular brands like Kala, Lanikai, and Ohana. The all seem to use the same bridge style, often the same headstock shape and tuners, and sometimes even the same purfling. This Legacy is probably another rebranding from the same factory as the others.

Mmm the appearance is quite common, but I don't think you'd find that style machine heads on the bigger brands such as Kala and Lanikai (maybe on their cheaper lines you do). I have seen a few ukes with those white covers around the posts of the machine heads and upon removal finding that the holes were too big for the posts and no ferules were inserted... The Shadow pickups are also very common. I wouldn't be too sure that they have the same pedigree as aforementioned brands. It's easy enough to take a Kala sample to another factory...Ohana ukes definitely do not share the same pedigree as any of these brands. The screwed in bridge is one giveaway that they are not...

This post was from 9 years ago... so umm.. thanks for the reply.

It's no secret that Legacy is (or "was"?) a housebrand of an Australian owned company for generic ukes from China.
They were pretty decent. I enjoyed mine (though it's long gone now). Many other companies do a similar thing (eg: Tanglewood, Caramel, Clearwater, etc).

Not particularly the most exciting ukulele find. Hope you got a decent one.
I do miss my old Legacy sometimes, as generic as they were.

Top Bottom