Your help (again!), please...

Athos

Reaction score
Hi,

I know that the standard advice to the myriad 'How can I work out strumming patterns?' questions is: don't worry about it to much, and just let it come naturally, out of the feel of the music. BUT, I have tried that, and am still struggling! So, I was wondering if there are any songbooks that show the strumming patterns as well as chords, for some well known songs. I reckon that, if I can sucessfully play a few songs, it might click into place how to do so more naturally.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Athos

PS Listening to the uke Prom on BBC Radio 3, live now (for three hours).

I have downloaded that particular ukulele strums e-book, and I found it quite helpful. It goes over a lot of strumming basics and provides some really helpful videos. I'd suggest it, especially if you're just getting started.

The e-book doesn't specifically deal with particular songs, although it does provide lots of examples, including video or song files, from some popular ukulele songs. It's got a particularly nice section on how to work out the strumming and timing of songs by ear. It's not so much a songbook as a technical guide, but I expect it will help you through some of your strumming difficulties. Good luck!

Glad you realize the answer to your problem is just to practice more :D.

You could scrounge out some songs Aldrine has taught, he goes through songs pretty thoroughly and teaches them pretty well, going through the strumming and the chords, everything about the song. You could even ask questions directly to him about songs during his weekly Wednesday Live Lessons. Maybe you could try "Most Beautiful Girl in the Room" by Flight of the Conchords?

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/1474061

Besides that, I've never used any songbooks for the ukulele so I couldn't recommend you any personally but many UUers have recommended Jumpin' Jim books. Such as the one below.

http://www.amazon.com/Jumpin-Jims-60s-Uke-Ukulele/dp/0634006312/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Im a newbe myself but found that my strum pattern for various song changes. I always like to try different strums and tempo to songs I like to play.. IMO there isnt really one strum pattern to a particular song.. My question to you is are you able to play a song or songs with just an up down strum thru out the whole thing if so, which one..?

I noticed last night that Netflix has ONE beginning uke DVD that says it teaches some strums. If you have Netflix, you could try it and give us a review.

Hmmm... must be new. I looked for uke vids awhile back and didn't see it. Cool!

I've put it at the top of my queue, but there's a short wait on it. I'll post a review when I get it.

JJ

patience is important. aldrine has some tuts and i think he mentions the strum pattern in all of his vids.

I have Al's eBook and it's excellent. There are also strum tutorials on YouTube and also on the 'net.

This is a great page to get you thinking about it.

http://www.ezfolk.com/uke/Tutorials/Strumming/strumming.html

Google "ukulele strums" to get some interesting links, same with YouTube, lots of strum patterns are out there, try Coveywood's channel, and try some fingerpicking to just to break it up a little. There are a LOT of great teachers out there "playing it forward"! :D

Top Bottom