Hawaiian Music

seeso

Super Duper Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
I have heard very little Hawaiian music. I'd like to rectify this problem.

Who should I listen to?

Educate an ignorant fool, please. :)

I am not sure of any specific artists, but kaparadio.com has a stream online of what they are playing. They have a good mix of alot of Hawaiian music.
KAPA is a Hawaiian radio station, I think it is based in Kona area.

Seeso,
I will think of more later when I have more time but a must have for contemporary Hawaiian is Bryan Tolentino's debut CD "Ka`Ukulele Lele. It is awesome and I have transcribed 3 songs from the CD that are available on my site if you use tabs at all.

I am not sure of any specific artists, but kaparadio.com has a stream online of what they are playing. They have a good mix of alot of Hawaiian music.
KAPA is a Hawaiian radio station, I think it is based in Kona area.

Seeso,
I will think of more later when I have more time but a must have for contemporary Hawaiian is Bryan Tolentino's debut CD "Ka`Ukulele Lele. It is awesome and I have transcribed 3 songs from the CD that are available on my site if you use tabs at all.

Thanks you guys. I'll check all that stuff out.

you can check out shoutcast.com and type in hawaiian in the search. it will give you 3-5 stations, some contemporary, a mixed station, and one that's more traditional. If you're interested in slack key, slack key paradise on live365.com is a good station too.

shootz!

you can check out shoutcast.com and type in hawaiian in the search. it will give you 3-5 stations, some contemporary, a mixed station, and one that's more traditional. If you're interested in slack key, slack key paradise on live365.com is a good station too.

shootz!

Thanks for that, bro. I'm listening to a station I really like right now. Just the type of thing I was looking for. Island reggae vibe.

My favorites growing up were The Cazimero Brothers, Cecilio and Kapono, Country Comfort. Gotta also listen to Gabby Pahanui, The sons of Ni'ihau. There are pleny to choose from.

As I had posted on a previous thread...

station_logo.gif

I listen to practically anything as long as it sounds good; but for the most part - I listen to Alternative, Hawaiian & Reggae. However - I listen to KCCN FM100 every day at work. (Makes me feel like I'm back at Hawaiian Airlines... LOL).

If you like Hawaiian music and would like to listen to a "Hawaiian kine" radio station... just open this URL (http://www.streamaudio.com/stations/asx/KCCN_FM.asx) in Winamp or Windows Media Player.

Last edited:
are you talking about the traditional hawaiian music? or the more modern "jawaiian" style stuff?

most of my influence comes from these stations that you can listen to online:

www.ir985.com
www.kccnfm100.com

I'd like to get into the major traditional artists for sure, though I prefer the modern stuff. I'd like to know who the more modern artists point to as influences. Who are the "Jawaiian" bands' biggest influences? Who are the "Jawaiian" bands I should listen to?

Thanks for those radio station links.

My favorites growing up were The Cazimero Brothers, Cecilio and Kapono, Country Comfort. Gotta also listen to Gabby Pahanui, The sons of Ni'ihau. There are pleny to choose from.

Thanks for those suggestions. Which of those artists are traditional? Which are modern?

As I had posted on a previous thread...

station_logo.gif

Thanks, Poi Dog. I shall check it out.

There are alot of great "Jawaiian" kine bands around... just so many to list. LOL But can't go wrong with listening to Mana'o Company, Ekolu or Natural Vibrations just to name a few. :D

But listen to KCCN FM100 and you'll hear all the different "Jawaiian" groups around da 'aina.

on a lot of those station's websites, they have their playlists out too. so you can get the names of the songs you like and the artist. makes it easier to search for on iTunes... or wherever you tend to look for music.

There is so much "same ole thing" on KCCN these days I wouldn't really recommend listening to it. The best days of the local island reggae scene have past.

Some groups that I think deserve attention,

Ka'ena - I am good friends with their producer Aaron Kimura. Bunch of super cool talented guys. I'm a sucker for a good hook.
Hot Rain - I dunno if their cd is ever going to come out but they are AMAZING live
Malino - Their CD came out 4 years ago but it was refreshing cause it felt like a throwback to went island reggae was exciting. Plus they were high school kids when they did it.
Katchafire - They're getting overplayed now but they were a fresh group from NZ

Theres more, but mostly older stuff. Haven't heard anything on the radio in a while that impressed me.

Last edited:
There is so much "same ole thing" on KCCN these days I wouldn't really recommend listening to it. The best days of the local island reggae scene have past.

Some groups that I think deserve attention,

Ka'ena - I worked with these guys on some video stuff, super cool group of guys and talented. I'm a sucker for catchy hooks.
Hot Rain - I dunno if their cd is ever going to come out but they are AMAZING live
Malino - Their CD came out 4 years ago but it was refreshing cause it felt like a throwback to went island reggae was exciting. Plus they were high school kids when they did it.
Katchafire - They're getting overplayed now but they were a fresh group from NZ

Theres more, but mostly older stuff. Haven't heard anything on the radio in a while that impressed me.

Very true - KCCN has been somewhat of a broken record when it comes to their playlists. You'll hear the same song every hour or so or even earlier than that if it's in their "Top 10 at 10"; with a sporadic hit from way back when. LOL But - having said that... it's still one of the best internet radio stations that play Hawaiian/Jawaiian music.

And yeah - Malino is awesome! I don't know what happened to those guys... they broke up o'wot? I got their CD, but haven't heard anything regarding a new CD/Album in the future.

Gabby Pahanui is THE TRADITIONAL guy, the others are from the 80's and 90's. You might also get a kick out of Willie K, he won the Best new artist for the Hawaiian Hoku awards, Hawaii's version of the Grammys.

listin to isreal kamakawiwo'ole he is a hawaiian ledgend and he play ukulele u might be able to pick up on his songs

Hawaiian String Virtuoso: Steel Guitar Recordings of the 1920's, by
King Bennie Nawahi is fantastic. Though it only features a couple of uke tunes, the whole album features some mind blowing musicianmanship. The tune "Ukulele Benny" is one of the reasons I first became interested in learning the ukulele. Master of the Hawaiian Guitar, Vol. 1 by Sol Hoopii also features some great Hawaiian playing, but sans ukulele. The compilation Legends of the Ukulele is also very good. Ken Emerson has a great tune on there. Others on my short list would include Roy Smeck and Ohta San.

Oh yeah, almost forgot him (actually I did, oops), but he was so gifted that his playing and singing was both 'modern' day and traditional. Anyone could learn alot by listening to his recordings. I have only one of his, "Iz World" it has his biggest hit, over the rainbow, but moslty forgotten, unreleased recordings that I think will surprise even the biggest fans. Whew! I said to much...

Top Bottom