Are bindings necessary, or are they "bling"?

Matt Clara

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I see that not all ukes have bindings on the body/fretboard, but when they do, they're sure to tout them, i.e., flamed maple bindings, or ebony binding, or whatever. "Binding" sure sounds like it's important, but as many ukes don't seem to have any, are they really necessary, or do they extend the life of the instrument, or are they just "bling"?
Thanks,
Matt

I am no expert but have read about this somewhere on the forum.

Are the necessary? No I think you knew that one though as there are just as many ukes with as without from the bottom of the barrel all the way up to the top of the line.

Do they extend the life? Not sure about this one. I think a well maintainted uke with or without bindings will have the save life span.

Are they just 'bling"? From what I have read from a well respected luither NO. They do acctually have functionallity I can't explain it as well but they do have purpose beside looks. I will try and find the thread and link it.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Necessary or not, I think they're fugly. Like oversized spoilers on small cars.

I like the look, when it's not overdone. Personally, I'm not going to buy a Mainland Uke anytime soon. I just can't get past the rope binding all the way around the body and head.

I prefer a dark binding, or a complimentary wood color rather than rope, herringbone, white, that sort of thing.

There is a reason for binding though. It's supposed to protect the end grain of the wood from damage, absorbing moisture, taking stain unevenly, that sort of thing. At least that's how it used to be. With modern finishes that might not be as necessary anymore.

Maybe I spoke too soon. This one isn't so bad.

43_0.jpg

As seen here.

Then again, I dunno. Maybe it is ugly. I find that a lot of the ukes other people drool over look awful to me - gaudy I suppose.

I think it looks really good on lighter wood, but I'm not such a fan for the more 'blingy' bindings. It's just a matter of taste, I guess.

I see that not all ukes have bindings on the body/fretboard, but when they do, they're sure to tout them, i.e., flamed maple bindings, or ebony binding, or whatever. "Binding" sure sounds like it's important, but as many ukes don't seem to have any, are they really necessary, or do they extend the life of the instrument, or are they just "bling"?
Thanks,
Matt
Bindings on the neck can make it feel smoother since the ends of the frets are covered and it is a smoth surface.

Bindings on the body hide the seam and can protect the edges from dents and nicks if made from material with protective properties.

Mostly they are cosmetic.

I like the look, when it's not overdone. Personally, I'm not going to buy a Mainland Uke anytime soon. I just can't get past the rope binding all the way around the body and head.

Everyone has there differences on how things look, one of the reasons I bought my Mainland was the binding, to me it looks well nice.

Top Bottom