Harmony Ukes - How is the Sound?

Tsani

Reaction score
Can those of you out there that have Harmony ukes tell me what the sound quality is like? There are quite a lot of them on ebay right now, and I am in the market. In the past I have been looking at Favilla, Marca Aquila, P'mico, Regal, and Gretsch. I usually like the sound more resonant and mellow as opposed to bright. I prefer mahogany over spruce. I can't stand intonation problems.

Are there certain years or models of Harmony are better? I know that Harmony was bought by Sears & Roebuck. Are all Harmony ukes actually made by Harmony? Did they put their name on other makers ukes?

I'd love to see a comprehensive guide to Harmony ukes. I've seen all kinds, last week someone brought me in a blue one with a waterskier and a white fretboard. I have another decent older wooden one too. For the most part, the ones I've played sound just "ok". Maybe I haven't seen the real good ones yet, either way I like Harmonys, they made them by the tens of thousands. I think they were made in Chicago.

While Waiting for the Darn Youtube to Load...

I am enjoying the comparison vid - if it will ever finish loading - but I really dig the shirt! Love Red Dwarf. :nana:

I like the sound of the old 1930's Harmonys like the one on Ukisociety's comparison video (the gold label with red trim). I just got one off ebay and fixed it up bit. I think I would decribe the sound as woody but kind of hollow sounding (but not unpleasently so). I like mine a lot and you can't beat a playable instument for about 50 bucks shipped!!! :D

I'll second that on the yellow and red label; late 20s - 30's. I got one that was my first soprano, and every time I'm sure I'm going to sell it I drag it out, tune it up and think "Dang, I can't sell this!", because it is very nice for how cheap they sell. These older ones have an arched back and the frets are set directly into the mahogany neck, Hawaiian style. I'd like to lower the action a hair on mine, but don't want to ruin the great volume. Mine has good sustain and a nice old mellow mahogany quality. For the price you could likely even replace the wood saddle if you weren't happy with it and make something a bit more custom.

I'd say if you find a nice one try it. The Favillas around that vintage on into the 50s are really nice too, but more pricey.

I had two Harmony vintage ukes back in the day. The baritone was solid mahogany with a rosewood fretboard. It was not plastic and a lot were produced without plastic fretboards.

The soprano was a plastic uke and was purchased about 1963 or 64 (yes, I am showing my age here... but I started young... I'm still young).

Both sounded good, the bari was my favorite at the time, more guitar-like, and not long afterward I took up guitar. I also played harmonica and a couple other instruments back then.

yeah a flea soprano might be my next buy though there not very common in shops over here (england).

also really want a tv pal but they dont pop up on ebay over here :(.

Last edited:
Top Bottom