PDA

View Full Version : low or high g

tbihler
08-19-2009, 09:38 AM
hi im about to buy my first ukulele soon. but i dont know which setup to get. I have read earlier threads about this but they still have left me undecided. I want to play more modern songs vs. traditional songs if that helps. I guess im asking why you picked what you did. Thanks!

Pueo
08-19-2009, 09:53 AM
My first ukulele was standard tuning. My second ukulele has Low G. Now I have one of each. I really enjoy the way each one sounds. I say you buy whichever one YOU like the sound of. Then when you get your next ukulele, you might try the other tuning.

GrumpyCoyote
08-19-2009, 09:55 AM
hi im about to buy my first ukulele soon. but i dont know which setup to get. I have read earlier threads about this but they still have left me undecided. I want to play more modern songs vs. traditional songs if that helps. I guess im asking why you picked what you did. Thanks!

No need to pick one or the other... it's fairly trivial on most ukes to switch.

My reccomendation is to start with High G... most tabs are written for it, and it's widely considered to be the more "traditional" sound. After you are comfortable, make the switch and see how you like it.

For most ukes it's as simple as swapping the string. Not something to worry about (one of the notable exceptions is the plastic fretted Fluke/Flea, they don't like wound strings)

You may have some buzzing if the nut needs a bit more room but there are usually easy fixes.

Start High - try them both.

I Ukulista
08-19-2009, 09:55 AM
I went with low G because I wanted to play 'Malaguena' I also like the blues and you can bend the low G to great effect. Lift off are quite effective as well.
It is a personal choice and I always have a ukulele (cheap mahalo) strung high G
to experiment with.

russ_buss
08-19-2009, 09:58 AM
i'd say start with high G. you can always buy a single low G string to switch out if you want to give it a try.

the.ronin
08-19-2009, 10:02 AM
I went with a concert at high g and recently bought a tenor strung at low g. I like the combo as some songs sound better on one; some you can’t even play on the other; and some that sound cool in their own way on either.

With the tenor, I got Aquilas with wound low g and wound c. I regret that big time. I’m a total beginner and I’m finding it difficult to play or progress from the wound strings without making an awful “crrrnk” noise. I ordered some Worth browns in low g all not wound and can’t wait for those.

The concert also has Worth browns but in high g.

I would like a beater / travel cheapy soprano next.

Ukulele JJ
08-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Go with high-G.

JJ

buddhuu
08-20-2009, 01:30 AM
Another vote for high G. :shaka:

dnewton2
08-20-2009, 01:51 AM
As a first uke I would go high g. But I have found low g to be real appealling lately. I didn't even try it for the first year + of uke playing.