Storing Ukes

the.ronin

Reaction score
When I’m not playing my ukes, I have them resting upwards on Kala stands. I only own gig bags so I don’t have any hard cases. Anything wrong with them just resting on these stands all day?

Stands are fine. Just keep the ukes out of direct sunlight and away from heating ducts and/or air conditioning. If you live in a very cold climate, you may want to keep them away from exterior walls in the winter.

Thanks for the response, Brewerpaul.

I love just looking at em when I’m not playing em haha.

Stands are just about perfect... cases tend to build up moisture and amplify heat problems. The exception being humidity controlled cases, but those are rare.

Out of the case is the important thing. Like I always say, cases are for impact protection and are very good at it - but they can actually make environmental issues worse.

This is just my opinion of course, based on my own experiences and about 25 years of ruining and rescuing various instruments. Your mileage may vary – particularly if your climate changes are very extreme or you have an exceptional case.

No.. I don't see anything wrong with that....

I live in the tropics and therefore leaving the uke out in humidity is not a good idea. However, I reckon ukes should be within reach and ready to go at any time! So stand for me too...

Thanks for the responses, guys.

This actually brings up a point. The Kala stand is basically the only one of its kind I know of specifically for ukes and the only other way to display ukes seems to be the fork fixtures used for guitars and such.

I smell market opportunity here especially given how spartan the Kala stand looks not to mention its shoddy construciton; I don’t think I’ve ever seen one that lies evenly flat.

Actually, for my concert sized kala, I use a rather strange custom stand crafted by my dad... its made of PVC, and the uke sits in it upside down (due to a misunderstanding of the sizes required... instead of the holder being 3 inches, it came to about 8 inches, which holds the 'waist' of the uke quite comfortably).

I stand my fluke next to my desk... So, I have 2 ukes within easy reach. My other Concert and my Kiwi stay attached to a rack near my dining table, They're held up with of all things, a few cloth covered rubber bands near the tuners.(essentially hair bands.), and they dangle. (I took the idea from how ukes are displayed up at mandolin bros)

:)

The Kala stand is basically the only one of its kind...

Hercules makes a stand for small instruments called the GS303B that's similar to the Kala but much better built. They also have a new product called the iStand that might fit the bill, but at $40 a pop, you might find yourself suffering from USAS. :rolleyes:

My guitars have spent most of their lives on stands with no problem. The only thing you have to watch out for over the long haul is deterioration of the rubber parts. As soon as my den is remodeled, everything stringed is going on the wall and there will be a stand or two in the closet to use while I have something out.

--Mark

Top Bottom