Looking Into this 8 string.

psp783

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I currently have a Lanikai LU-21 Model Soprano Uke that I really enjoy. Im looking into getting a Tenor tho, as I wanted one from the beginning, but didnt wanna fork over the dough originally. Now after a few months of Ukeing I wanna get this Uke

Follow the link and Lemme know what you think. Please & Thank You in advance.

http://www.amazon.com/Lanikai-LU-8E...&s=musical-instruments&qid=1250728734&sr=8-18

:shaka::music::shaka:

I'd Love to take it off your hands but I kinda like this one . Plus I want it standard tuned and you have it tuned down I believe. Its a beauty, but Ive got a few things Im trying to get rid of aswell to make space for this one and a new lute.

Hey PSP,
I have a Kala 8-string with pickup. Mine's is a Koa laminate one. The Lanikai you are looking at is basically the same uke. It's a nice one. Before I actually got mine, I was playing with that one you looking to buy. It's a good instrument. Nice full sound with the 8 strings. Dino

Plus I want it standard tuned and you have it tuned down I believe.

You can tune it however you like. You should get whatever one you want, but the current tunning of a stringed instrument should not be a reason to not get a vs. b

Just curious have you played a 8 string before? I havent. I played a 6 string and it was a fuller sound but it took some getting used to compared to a 4 string, I never quite got the feel for it. But that is just my experince.

You can tune it however you like. You should get whatever one you want, but the current tunning of a stringed instrument should not be a reason to not get a vs. b

Just curious have you played a 8 string before? I havent. I played a 6 string and it was a fuller sound but it took some getting used to compared to a 4 string, I never quite got the feel for it. But that is just my experince.
I havent either. I was hoping to get a feel for it from the UU crowd. What exactly didnt you like about playing the 6 String ?

I havent either. I was hoping to get a feel for it from the UU crowd. What exactly didnt you like about playing the 6 String ?

For me it almost sounded like a gutiar and I wasn't really wanting that sound. I also like to do some picking and strumming when I play and although picking can be done on a six or eight string it takes some practice. But if you can master picking on one of those it will be cool because you have some extra notes to play with. One other thing that I probably would have got used to was the heavyness of the headstock due to the extra tuners.

Please don't let my experince keep you from getting a 8 string. There are tons of people on the forum that love the 6 and 8 string (there is another thread about this I will try to find). I just thought at the time it wasn't for me. I will probably try agian one day.

True. We even have a set of Aquila standard 8-string tuning strings for it.

I agree with Dnewton (He tried my 6 string). The more strings isn't for everyone and tuning makes all the differance in the world. i had tuned my 6 string with a low g and low a and it was loud but I thought it was to low. I eventually strung it back to low g with the a's in unison. I sold my 6 string and ordered a pono mango 8 string. I have played it once and can not wait to pick it up. It sounds like a harp.

I just ordered a Mele Koa Tenor 8-String can't wate to get my hands on it

You made a great choice. I almost ordered another Mele ( I got a few of them). While I was on Maui I went into their store and spent about 3 hours talking story and playing ukes. I wanted a mango uke though and Mele isn't into the mango wood yet. You will love your uke.

Very Cool Guys. Is there anything I should know or do different from any other uke I purchase ? Or anything of that sort ?

I recently got into the fray with a 5-string Mele Concert (prototype = Frankenstein-ized with a mis-matched 5th tuner) which has been my uke of choice from the day I got it.
I didn't take it to Hawaii this past trip so UAS reared it's ( bea....ful/ug..ly) head and I got a 6-string Concert Island Ukulele (older model, used but beautiful). Sorry no pics.

I noticed that the wound A string, 1st of the first strings, seemed to over-power the entire sound of the uke. I finally re-strung it by substituting the lower octave C (unwound) string with it. Now it sounds better to me and the bass/low register doesn't seem to over-power the sound.

I got the "beginner" cramping in my chord hand. It takes more finger/hand strength to hold down those double strings for a clean sound. At least for me it does.

I played it a few times for my Mom's DayCare group while they were having dinner. Some songs did NOT go well. These were the ones that required a bit of "picking". That being said, the sound was fuller and had more volume.

Now I'll be bringing 5- and 6-string ukes for gigs, etc. By the way on the 5-stringer it's the G that is doubled/octave, high = string 5, low = string 4, so I have both a reentrant and a low G sound...well, sorta.

I'm not yet ready for an 8-stringer, but it sounds like you've done your homework (read daydreaming?) so go for it!

Aloha,

I recently got into the fray with a 5-string Mele Concert (prototype = Frankenstein-ized with a mis-matched 5th tuner) which has been my uke of choice from the day I got it.
I didn't take it to Hawaii this past trip so UAS reared it's ( bea....ful/ug..ly) head and I got a 6-string Concert Island Ukulele (older model, used but beautiful). Sorry no pics.

I noticed that the wound A string, 1st of the first strings, seemed to over-power the entire sound of the uke. I finally re-strung it by substituting the lower octave C (unwound) string with it. Now it sounds better to me and the bass/low register doesn't seem to over-power the sound.

I got the "beginner" cramping in my chord hand. It takes more finger/hand strength to hold down those double strings for a clean sound. At least for me it does.

I played it a few times for my Mom's DayCare group while they were having dinner. Some songs did NOT go well. These were the ones that required a bit of "picking". That being said, the sound was fuller and had more volume.

Now I'll be bringing 5- and 6-string ukes for gigs, etc. By the way on the 5-stringer it's the G that is doubled/octave, high = string 5, low = string 4, so I have both a reentrant and a low G sound...well, sorta.

I'm not yet ready for an 8-stringer, but it sounds like you've done your homework (read daydreaming?) so go for it!

Aloha,

What do you mean by " read daydreaming " ? Not sure what that means exactly....Sorry

hey mate, i own a kala 8 string ukulele, tuned GgCcEA (i dont think im writing that correct :D) and its the best uke, its my main uke and the only one i play, i went up from a concert and find its just so much easier and better to play in the sence that its just the bit bigger, you will find it a little hard at first with the 8 strings in regards to pressing the strings ect but get used to it, its awsome playing outdoors too, really projects so dam well sounds like a normal 4 string on roids... lovely things, picking takes practice but is quiet easy, and theres not set songs u can and cant play i went for the kala cause they looked nicer, and people are fasinated by the 8 string too... buy one and u will never look back

The 8 strings are only for strumming right?

heck no mate, i pick, strum, jam, do everything that i did on a 4 string, it just takes a little more practice (few days)... my 8 string is my main uke, so i do and play everything and anything :shaka:

The 8 strings are only for strumming right?

No. Not necessarily. You can pick on an 8-string but the Pickers choice is always the 4-string. If you haven't played the 8 string, you will find it a little easier to play than the 6-string. The 6-string is a little harder to play for the fact that you have to work to press down on the "un-even" octave strings. Unlike the 8-string that has the C E & A just doubled.

IMO as you move from a 4 to 6 to 8 the sound gets fuller with each step. All I'm missing is a 5-string like Uncle Rod.....why do I want a 5-string you may ask..........UAS my friends. UAS!

Strumming an 8-string is an excellent background accompaniment for a 4-string picker.
The picking must be clean, holding down 2 strings with one finger with the right pressure takes lots of practice.

But then.... when you've had a few beers and singing really loud....who cares, ha.

Top Bottom