Hole Placement.

DoodlesMcDeezleLippy

Reaction score
Hey,

I know that the shape of a ukulele's sound hole changes the way it sounds. But does it make a difference in a ukulele's tone/sound if the the hole is placed farther down or up or to a certain side?

Thanks,
Doodles

Hey,

I know that the shape of a ukulele's sound hole changes the way it sounds. But does it make a difference in a ukulele's tone/sound if the the hole is placed farther down or up or to a certain side?

Thanks,
Doodles

Hey Doodles,
IMO the shape of the sound hole doesn't affect the sound, but it may affect the volume at which the sound is projected. You can think of an ukulele like a speaker box. The hole acts like a port which is supposed to give you bigger sound. But...this is a theory that is hard to prove because each wood used for an ukulele has its own personality and will react differently when used. I have a 2 puka tenor, I've seen 3 hole ukes, ukes with f-holes, sound holes in the pattern of the Hawaiian islands and sound holes on the side of a uke. If you really want to hear what a uke sounds like, look at it straight forward and strum across the strings. That is what your uke is going to sound like (basically to others listening to you play)....thanks to Aldrine for that tip when looking for a uke! Aloha, Dino

The shape could conceivably have an effect on the tone. Most likely, placement does too. As Rick Turner pointed out, everything makes a difference. It's generally accepted that it's the total area of the hole that makes the difference. For multiple soundholes, add all their areas together to get the total effect. F holes are a bit difficult to estimate, but with some good math skills and some (a lot!) experimentation you'll find the size that works best.

Thanks guys I appreciate that responses. Yeah i was just curious due to the fact that i've been seeing a large diversity of ukes lately.

Just gotta try em all if you get the chance. Try that tip I got from Aldrine. Hold the uke up in front of you while looking at the face and strum across the strings. That's truly what your uke sounds like.

Just thinking out loud because I have no real experience here, but it seems to me there are two aspects to the hole size/placement question. One is the size of the hole(s) in area as mentioned and, two is what the placement does to the ability of the remaining sound board to vibrate. In other words, if the hole is close to the soundboard edge, or to a braced part of the soundboard, the soundboard in that area will be effectively stiffer than if the hole is farther away from these stiffening influences. We defintely want the soundboard to vibrate, so there is a tradeoff in terms of providing enough open area for the sound to get out,

My triple small hole Doane Clone baritone (hey that rhymes!) is pretty quite.

Just thinking out loud because I have no real experience here, but it seems to me there are two aspects to the hole size/placement question. One is the size of the hole(s) in area as mentioned and, two is what the placement does to the ability of the remaining sound board to vibrate. In other words, if the hole is close to the soundboard edge, or to a braced part of the soundboard, the soundboard in that area will be effectively stiffer than if the hole is farther away from these stiffening influences. We defintely want the soundboard to vibrate, so there is a tradeoff in terms of providing enough open area for the sound to get out,

That sound like an interesting hypothesis, cause i was lookin at two ukes and one had its soundhole dead-center in the soundboard and the other the hole started almost exactly where the neck ended placing it right on the edge. Unfortunately I didn't get to compare the sounds of the two ukes but that idea applies to this situation.

Mahalos Everyone,
Doodles :shaka:

For me I worry about less how and why and just use your ears...who cares really about the theory behind Oval, Round, Side and Musubi, Double, Heart s shaped but rather what it sounds like....isnt that the final decision maker??? If is plays good..feels good and sounds good...buy it and cherish it...
Rick T: say I hear youre aiming that shotgun at something finally with 14...you know what i mean.....I can't wait talked to Barry today

Last edited:
Chuck Moore makes some of his Moore Bettah ukes with a "side sound port" - which is a hole on the side of the uke. So as you hold it and play, there is an opening aimed straight at you. I played one of these and what was amazing is that it gave you the same affect as if you leaned over and put your ear in front of the ukulele. So basically you're getting more of the sound your audience would get and more of what I would consider the true sound of the ukulele. What's interesting, is that if you put your hand over the side sound port and strum, there's actually less volume coming out the front (as noted by someone that was standing in front of me.) And this is on a uke with a pretty standard size opening on the front. Btw...I was interested in this uke, but I waited too long and it was bought out from under me. I am so in love with the sound of Chuck's uke and didn't want to have to get in line to wait for one to be made with the side sound port, that I ended up buying one of his that doesn't have the side sound port, but has two holes on the front. Photos at http://www.om28.com/sukes/moore2.html It's great, though I think the most enjoyment for the player is with the side sound port (and one of these days I'll get another of Chuck's ukulele with the side sound port.)

Top Bottom