New Bnjo Ukulele 1920's

dominicfoundthemooon

Reaction score
Hey all

I wanted to show you my new Banjo Ukulele. I won it off ebay for around 250 once the shipping was added in. It looks to be from the 1920's. I was concerned about the sound, as most Banjo Ukuleles from that time period are hit and miss. But the case just pulled me in. This item is a real piece of history. It has a story.

If any of you know what any of the drawings represent... Or the stickers for that matter... Shout it out!

The sound of this uke is nice. Very full and loud where some of these older Banjos fall short. I am happy with it.. Now for the pics..

SANY0074-1.jpg

SANY0075-1.jpg

SANY0076-1.jpg

SANY0077-1.jpg

Since I see Catalina stickers on the case, I have to guess it's from Southern California. Also, the SAMOHI is a common abbreviation for Santa Monica High School. The S.M.H. is also probably Santa Monica High reference. Nice cartoons! The banjo uke is very pretty. Nice find! Now you need a yearbook from Santa Monica High School from around 1926-7!

–Lori

Since I see Catalina stickers on the case, I have to guess it's from Southern California. Also, the SAMOHI is a common abbreviation for Santa Monica High School. The S.M.H. is also probably Santa Monica High reference. Nice cartoons! The banjo uke is very pretty. Nice find! Now you need a yearbook from Santa Monica High School from around 1926-7!

–Lori

OMG! nice!! i am going to call up those schools and see about looking up some of those names... this helps a lot!!

It's funny, because I was just watching an old Buster Keaton movie from 1928 "Steamboat Bill Jr."
Warning... there is violence done to a ukulele in this film. That was horrible.:eek: But the rest of it was pretty amazing. Buster Keaton was a ukulele player as well as a comic genius.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4uffTO-68I

It would be great if you found the old yearbook, and saw a photo of the banjo uke with it's owner. Considering the sketches and the signatures, maybe this student was on the yearbook staff. Maybe you will see more of the same artwork in the yearbook. At the very least, find some photos to go with the names. And that "Ze Playwright" might indicate activity in the theater department.

Let us know if you discover anything.
–Lori

Top Bottom