Frustrated about Music Theory? Listen to Uncle Rod's Lament.

Uncle Rod Higuchi

Reaction score
http://www.4shared.com/file/126325725/6ef2d760/Uncle_Rods_Lament.html

I'm NOT opposed to Music Theory or Theorists who dutifully share their extensive knowledge with us when we ask "simple" questions. Really, I'm not.

However, I find that my desire (when I have it) to learn Music Theory is with a view to assist me in finding the chords I may need to play a song better. I want to use Music Theory prescriptively - figure things out in advance.

What I seem to find, however, is that most Music Theory is descriptive, that is, it tells me what just happened, but doesn't necessarily help me find out what I need to do next (in terms of finding the next chord I'm looking for to help me play a song).

Hence, "Uncle Rod's Lament". It's just a good-natured poke at Music Theory. Sometimes I wish I knew Theory, but I think I can get along OK without it. After all, I have all of you Music Theorists to help me!

I hope you enjoy the song. :)

Last edited:
My (good-natured) take on Music Theory

Hi All,

I just posted a link to a song I wrote about my aversion/ambivalence to the whole idea of Music Theory.

Anyway, it's just a good-natured poke at Theory and Theorists.

Did I mention that it's "good-natured", meaning lol-harmless-lol.

Enjoy.

Oh, if you can't find it, here's the link: http://www.4shared.com/file/126325725/6ef2d760/Uncle_Rods_Lament.html:o

Very Nice!

Clever little ditty! Thanks for sharing that, Unk!
Made my morning.

:)

I'm NOT opposed to Music Theory or Theorists who dutifully share their extensive knowledge with us when we ask "simple" questions. Really, I'm not.

However, I find that my desire (when I have it) to learn Music Theory is with a view to assist me in finding the chords I may need to play a song better. I want to use Music Theory prescriptively - figure things out in advance.

What I seem to find, however, is that most Music Theory is descriptive, that is, it tells me what just happened, but doesn't necessarily help me find out what I need to do next (in terms of finding the next chord I'm looking for to help me play a song).

BB King was once asked if he can read music, his response was "Not enough to hurt my playing" :)

Top Bottom