cheapish tenor ukes?

Jamie Holding

Reaction score
My e-books are making, in my standards, quite a lot of money now so I thought that it was about time that I spent it on another ukulele!

I'd like to get a uke which had a GCEA (low G) tuning. But I'm very open. I've already got a high G but would like to do some arranging of music that would only really fit on the larger uke. (Which uke would best fit into this tuning? And do many people play this tuning of uke?)

My budget is below £60 as I'm saving up for a theorbo (massive lute) at the moment as well!

Any advice on any respected brands etc? I have no idea where to look...

Thanks!

Jamie

The Kala Makala Tenor also fits in your budget. Haven't heard much about that one though.

I got a Makai Tenor from Elderly Instruments and it is amazing for the price. It is the MT-70, solid spruce top, and it was $125 (US). It is made in China. It has a great tone to it, much louder than my concert Flea. It came with stock GHS strings and I switched over to Aquilas with a wound low G, and that has made a huge difference.

http://www.revivalacoustics.com/makaiuke.html

Happy Hunting,
Jackie

Any advice on any respected brands etc? I have no idea where to look...

Thanks!

Jamie

Wow, that's hard to believe. Even a basic internet search will expose you to hundreds of possibilities that match your very wide requirements. Try it. You'll find a few dozen dealers selling what you want in just a few minutes.

Wow, that's hard to believe. Even a basic internet search will expose you to hundreds of possibilities that match your very wide requirements. Try it. You'll find a few dozen dealers selling what you want in just a few minutes.

I couldn't find any for the uk...

Internet knows no boundaries(except maybe China ;) ). I don't have anywhere local either, but there are a lot of reputable e-dealers here you can work with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom