Broken uke :( Help

sophie358

Reaction score
I have only had my beautiful mainland concert for about 2 weeks and i have been taking excellent care of it. Sadly this afternoon i tripped and fell onto a door whilst holding it and the hoor handle went straight through the wood - talk about bad luck. Well i decided to stop crying about it and get some advice. I live in an area in england where no one even sells ukes let alone repairs them so unless there's anything i can do myself (doubtful) then i can't get it repaired. The sound seems to be the same which is good (and surprising i think). If i keep playing it will the crack damage more or get worse (wood splitting?) Or do you think it will be alright, just slightly less beautiful? Any advice would be great i'm pretty new to the ukulele.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 47
Oh man, that's terrible luck!

Is there a guitar shop near you? They should be able to make that repair -- and it would be good to get that repaired sooner rather than later.

oh that's a good idea. I've found a violin repairer and a guitar repairer that are going to give me quotes. Might be pricey but worth it. Thanks.

As far as these things go, that looks to be a relatively minor repair, so it shouldn't be too bad.

And definitely worth it -- in the right hands, it should end up looking pretty good.

Do let us know how it goes!

Ouch! In so many ways.

That is bad news. The good news is that there are luthiers out there who can work miracles. Don't just ask for a quote, but ask for references and examples of previous repairs. Then make your decision. Unfortunately, there are luthiers out there who are not capable of miracles, too.

OW! :(

I feel for you, Sophie. What an unfortunate accident!

Like the others have said, judging by your pic it should be possible to repair that damage if you find a decent repair person who is affordable. The repair may be visible, but personally that wouldn't bother me if it were my uke. In fact, a bit of "mojo" adds character to an instrument.

Er... admittedly, at the moment, that may be just a tad more mojo than is ideal - but a repair should get your uke playing and sounding as good as before the mishap.

Good luck with it. Let us know how it turns out. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Top Bottom