How do you carry all your stuff around?

Uncle Rod Higuchi

Reaction score
I don't know if this has already been addressed. If so, please excuse me.

When I go to a gig (read nursing home usually), I bring a good-size portable music stand, at lease one 2 1/2" to 3" 3-ring binder of songs, and my uke. I usually have the stand in a separate bag and the songbook in another bag. My uke is sometimes in the songbook bag or, depending on which one I bring, just in it's own case.

My friend has a roller bag or a portable hand truck! Fortunately, we do most of our gigs acoustically (read un-plugged). If I have to bring amplification, I usually bring a microcube with its attended accessories.

So, how do you carry your stuff around? And WHAT do you generally have to have with you "at all times"? (uke-speaking only)

I'm still songbook bound so I have to have a songbook with me, then a stand is helpful.:confused:

Last edited:
I leave that stuff up to my stage crew and roadies... I just show up, go to my trailer with my groupies and eat m&m's (no blue) till my opening act finishes...

Liar. :biglaugh:

Messenger bags are your friends...

I take two ukes any time I'm going to perform, plus a binder, strings, tuners, vid camera, music stand, tripod, and sometimes a pint of whiskey or other libation.

I use a small messenger bag over one shoulder for all the stuff, and the ukes are in their cases. Simple and tidy.

Amps and pedals are another story. My current amp is on wheels and weighs in at ~50lbs. So it's on it's own. the pedals/power cables and such go in another shoulder bag - an army surplus first-aid bag. It's big enough for my multi-effects boxes, a couple of single floor pedals, my Wah, and 9volts/ power cables.

Someday, I'm swapping most of the rig for one of these - a Fishman Solo PA/Amp - the bag should be large enough for most of my crap - but it's not a priority today:
fishsolo.jpg

I leave that stuff up to my stage crew and roadies... I just show up, go to my trailer with my groupies and eat m&m's (no blue) till my opening act finishes...

Pics or it didn't happen (eating the blue M&M's that is) :smileybounce:

A typical open mic gig is:

- ukulele (humidifier in case)
- pedal board (pedal train w/ soft case): strobe tuner, reverb pedal, looper
- strap for ukulele (I play a Ko'olau CE-1...you kinda need the strap)

Stashed in my pedal board's case are:
- strings
- string winder
- clippers
- cleaning cloth
- 9v batteries for active electronics
- business cards

If I'm playing a solo gig, I add:

- amp (head and 1x12 cab)
- m-audio bag to carry head, amp cables, powerstrip, field recorder
- acoustic guitar (I usually play half the night on guitar/half ukulele)
- guitar strings, string winder, wire cutters, capos
- Stand for guitar and ukulele
- Porchboard bass for some rhythm on guitar tunes
- LED candles for atmosphere (cheesy, but effective)

I'm sure I forgot something. :)

-John

For gigs...don't know (I play lousy)! For everyday bumming around, I have a Targas backpack with laptop, several different cameras, snowball mic, a couple of harps, music, ear buds, blank CDRW/DVD's, a couple bottles of *****, a book or two, and assorted ukes in separate bags/cases. Not too bulky and gives me some options depending on how I feel.
:anyone:

To every gig, session and open mic, I take a large, heavyweight canvas tool bag (but sometimes I leave it in the car until I know what's needed).

Contents:

• Song folder
  • Shure condenser instrument mic
  • Shure dynamic vocal mic
  • XLR leads
  • Jack leads (including short patch leads)
  • Extra long XLR and Jack leads for DI from amp to PA at larger venues
  • Fishman ProEQ II instrument preamp
  • Behringer 7-band EQ pedal
  • Batteries
  • Strings
  • Picks
  • Band business cards
  • Gig diary
  • Notepad and pen
  • Music stand
  • Instrument stand
  • Small selection of tools and electrical tape
  • Small test meter
  • Mains extension leads
  • 2 x Intelli 900 clip-on tuners

Outside the bag:

• Marshall AS50D acoustic amp
  • Boom mic stand
  • Kala ASMT tenor uke
  • Kentucky KM-505 mandolin with Tone Gard
  • Gliga fiddle

It's just automatic... I just throw all the stuff in the car no matter what the event/venue. If I were to select which stuff I'd need specifically then I would definitely forget something - so I always take it all, even though most of it stays unused.

Top Bottom