Thumb or Nail to Strum/Pick

brUKEman

Reaction score
Do most of you strum/pick with your thumb or nail. Right now I use my thumb as my nails are too short to pick with. Should I grow them or just use my thumb. What do most of you use.. Thanks to everyone for all your help.

Do most of you strum/pick with your thumb or nail. Right now I use my thumb as my nails are too short to pick with. Should I grow them or just use my thumb. What do most of you use.. Thanks to everyone for all your help.

Hey when strumming I use my thumb if I want to sound out the chord but generally use the fingernail on my first finger (Aldrine did a lesson on this, let me me try and find it). You can get a range of sounds by lightly brushing the strings with your nail. It all depends what kind of sound you're looking for.

When it comes to picking I use my thumb or my thumb and other fingers if the song needs it! Having longer nails on your fingers gives a more pronounced tone if you ask me, which is why a lot of people have longer nails.

Hope that helps!

John

You know...I'm still figuring that out too. The more I play, I find the thumb gives a more mellow sound and say strumming with the nails give a sharper sound, I like to mix that up! As far as picking goes, I try to use the left corner of my thumb/nail for the top strings, but try using your index, middle and ring finger for the bottom strings, again using the nail gives you a sharper (some might say cleaner) sound. let the nails grow a little say...1/8 to 1/4 inch, then I use an emory board to shape them like a guitar pick point. If you can keep them in that shape they seem to be stronger and last longer. Use a nail hardener on them to keep the edges from fraying when you shred! :p

I strum with my pointer (index) finger and sometimes with my thumb (pad). I have grown out my pointer finger and thumb nails for picking - I only use these two when pickin' the uke.

I strum with my pointer (index) finger and sometimes with my thumb (pad). I have grown out my pointer finger and thumb nails for picking - I only use these two when pickin' the uke.

I'm pretty much the same as Tim. I use my pointer mostly, unless i need to spell out the chord. I pick with my pointer so i also grew out my nail. I found it helps alot with tremolos.

I usually alternate thumb with fingernails, you can go faster that way because as one is finishing the other is getting into position.

If I brush, it's thumb only.

One thing I discovered, try wearing a rubber glove, it gives a nice, even, mellow sound.

I strum with my index finger...both sides, so haven't time for nails.
I pick with my thumb and index finger, though I practice an exercise using all four fingers to integrate more clean, picking into my playing (I play major to minor arpeggios up and down the fretboard, followed by a strum).

I'm still struggling to find my preferred strum technique. So far, all I'm doing is getting sore cuticles on my fingers. If I want a mellow sound, I down stroke with the pad of the thumb and up stroke with the pad(s) of one or more fingers. To brighten it up a bit, I switch to the backs of the nails (usually middle two fingers rather than index) until my fingers can't take it anymore. Then, I revert to a "Wedgie" or other very soft pick and go from there.

I strum with my thumb and index finger. I used to pick with my thumb only but a few years ago, i forced myself to use my thumb, index , middle and ring fingers when picking :) felt like I had more control - I guess. I still only use my thumb tho when I get lazy :p I use my nails for picking and I grew them out just for that

I do a lot of three finger picking and pinching with thumb, index and middle finger. On occasion if I need to play single notes quickly I'll hold my fingers like I'm holding a guitar pick and use the nail on my index.

Strumming depends on the song or the section of the song that I'm playing. Lots of times it's index down and thumb for up strokes. or all index. a lot of rolls. A combination of fingerpicking, strums and rolls. It really depends on what I need for the song at any given moment. And even in songs that I play regularly it evolves over time. (I'm difficult to follow sometimes. Ask Sukie....)

Top Bottom