If I went to an open mic, what should I bring?

cashew

Reaction score
Seriously, I'm considering going, and since I'm pretty much an uber noob, I have NO idea what to bring, or what one does need to typically supply.

I was thinking just me and my uke, but.. I'm imagining that some sort of pickup is a good idea? (maybe I'll get a stick on one... Or are second Mic's not uncommon? Hmm.. it could be cause for another Uke?)

Aside from memorizing a song, I imagine, that it goes like spoken word open mics? (sign up, wait turn, go?)

Interestedly yours.
--Nut

if you dont want a mic right near your strumming hand, then bring a pickup, but you seem to have it down. They're fun, just got back from one akshully

Your best bet is to go once as a spectator, and scope out the situation. Then come back next time with a solid understanding of how it works.

they normally have extra mics you can set up right infront of your uke.. it sucks though because it's inches from your strum hand. I always bang the mic with my hand just cause of that. I WISH I had a pickup.. if you can get one go for it, its preference.

If you have a pickup then take your own leads. Also spare preamp batteries if applicable.

If you play into a mic then I'd recommend taking your own. I always take my Shure condenser with me. I find that allows me to have the mic a good 8 to 12 inches from the uke where it doesn't get in the way. Dynamic vocal mics sometimes just don't get the job done for amplifying instruments.

NB: don't just go unplugging mics etc without asking the sound guy/host/MC. They'll be cool with you using your own if you just ask first and give them the chance to switch the mics over.

Thanks for all the good info guys :)

Now I just gotta go and assemble the ball bearings to go and do this :)

I play one almost every Sunday and I bring myself and whatever instrument I want to play. Most of them are first come first to sign up gets to play. Mine has fifteen minute slots on Sunday night starting at 7:30 PM. I does help to bring everone you know. Then you will have a good audience. Our audiences vary with the weather, time of the year and what other festivals are playing that weekend. I like to write down 4 or 5 songs and work on them all week then I play it by ear. Some nights are fun and some are not.

Joe T

Bring a heaping shovel full of confidence and enjoy the experience.

You've practiced. You know your stuff and you're going to sell the song. Nobody's heard what you're going to do so it's new to them and even if you make a minor mistake, the song goes on, most folks didn't notice it and in the end nobody cares because you totally rocked.

the end.

Top Bottom