Ghetto Electric Uke Project

Dirka

Reaction score
I've been wanting an electric uke for a while, and the RISAs really appeal to me, with their sturdyness and portability. Problem is, with my laptop dying a slow and painful death, I can't bring myself to cough up the 215€ for a concert solid.

So last night I had this idea:

Get one of these kits
557478_800.jpg

and some wood from the hardware store to rig up a body-ish thingie. Stick on neck, fretboard and brigde, slap on a pickup and *bam* electric ukulele. :D

I've already got lots of stuff planned out, but I'm not sure about the pickup. I'm thinking about sticking a transducer directly to the brigde, from underneath. Is there anything to say against that idea that I should be aware of? Or might it actually work?

Thanks in advance,
Dirka.

Last edited:
You should get some different tuners. I built the kit you showed once and the tuners really suck ass. Besides that I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.

Yeah, it's really a proof-of-concept kind of project where I figure out how I shouldn't be doing things :D

If things work out, I'll upgrade them to grover. Thanks on the input!

I'm already thinking (dreaming) about the next step, a tenor made from one piece, with integrated headphone preamp...

Top Bottom