I don't understand

Skrik

Reaction score
The ukulele is a small instrument. The soprano is about 12"/ 30cm long, and only 3"/ 8cm deep. It fits in most kinds of bag, sack, or case, and is immensely portable.

So what is the point of a travel ukulele, or a ukulele with a thin body? "The soprano can get into most places, but look, this thing can get into even more nooks and crannies. Wow!"

Yeah, I don't get it -- not that this rules out my getting a travel uke in the future -- I mean it's just one more, innit?

Me neither. Although if you have a regular case to protect your uke that makes it a little bulkier. A soprano fits easily into a beach bag or a book bag. Unless its a real beater though you need some kind of bag or sleeve to protect it. Actually a string bag or a small pillow case could work well.

I suppose in my mind, the box body of a regular uke (of whatever size) seems fragile and the term "travel" seems to communicate a sense of confidence in that the instrument was "designed" for travel (read "beater"?).

I would imagine that a thinner body (less depth) might make for a stiffer body, one less prone to easy crushing. (oh, I hate to use those descriptive words, it makes me shiver!)
And sometimes you just need a smaller form-factor for ease of storing/packing etc. If you've had to pack a uke, sometimes you just want something a bit smaller, thinner, shorter, etc.

I got a Risa Soprano Solid for it's smaller form-factor, solidity (can be used as a club to hurt assailants!), and the fact that it's silent. Of course that means I have to now carry some kind of amp (personal or performance) as well as cables, headphones, batteries, etc. So what happened to the small form-factor? It got traded for a "2nd-look, what's that?" effect!

So, to some of us, the "travel" uke design makes a little bit of sense. It also gives us a bit of relief for our UAS by providing, hopefully, a moderately-priced alternative. ($150 vs $500+).

The ukulele is a small instrument. The soprano is about 12"/ 30cm long, and only 3"/ 8cm deep. It fits in most kinds of bag, sack, or case, and is immensely portable.

So what is the point of a travel ukulele, or a ukulele with a thin body? "The soprano can get into most places, but look, this thing can get into even more nooks and crannies. Wow!"

Yeah, I don't get it -- not that this rules out my getting a travel uke in the future -- I mean it's just one more, innit?

A soprano is only 12" long? :confused:

Mine is 21" long. Are we talking about the same thing?

I guess you could tuck them into your pants easier, or if your friend gets arrested for carrying an unwrapped uke you could slip it to them thru the bars into the jail cell.
Seriously though,I haven't tried one but I do have a cigar box uke that I made and it has a very thin body. I really like the way the cigar box nestles against your body and the bottom edge doesn't bother my right forearm when I hold it while playing. I suppose the thin body uke could have this same comfort factor.

I guess you could tuck them into your pants easier, or if your friend gets arrested for carrying an unwrapped uke you could slip it to them thru the bars into the jail cell.

Perfect undercover Utah Uke, a Ute Uke. ;):rolleyes::D

It's all about exploiting the masses weakness (UAS). The travel uke was designed and built to take advantage of the weak and not for convienence. I personally see through the scheme and refuse to spend money on a "travel" uke. I like traveling with my tenors and if I am on the trail I take my soprano. They are not getting anymore of my money.

Last edited:
It's all about exploiting the masses weakness (UAS). The travel uke was designed and built to take advantage of the weak and not for convienence. I personally see through the scheme and refuse to spend money on a "travel" uke. I like traveling with my tenors and if I am on the trail I take my soprano. They are not getting anymore of my money.

Right. Of course not.

Well, some of the new "travel ukes" (by large unnamed companies) seem to just have thinner bodies; I'm at a loss as to how that makes them more travel-like than any other. The ones I make, on the other hand, are built to be stuffed into luggage along with your clothes (no case needed), and played in inexpensive hotel rooms without bothering the neighbors (not too much volume). (Like this one: http://www.wsukes.com/77/u77.html )

Last edited:
I was talking to someone locally who was selling a uke on craigslist. At the same time he was looking for a new uke for his wife who is disabled, and thought that the uke that she was playing was a bit too wide. At first, I thought he was talking about how wide the soundboard was as opposed to how deep the body was, but eventually I figured out that he meant that the regular thickness of a uke body was too big for his wife and was a bit difficult to play. I guess for situations like that, a travel uke would be good because the thinner body would be easier to hold for some people.

And for the rest of us, those without travel ukes (like me) are in hot pursuit.

Love My Travel Kala

Those of you who don't understand why someone would want a "travel uke" have probably never taken your uke to the top of Half Dome (see pictures), or packed your Uke on a 41 mile hike through the wilderness (did that last week, had fun playing in the snow at 10,500' in August) or never carried your Uke on a two week backpacking trip through Nicaragua (did that this summer). You also probably don't carry your Uke with you to work in the back pocket of your roll aboard suitcase (as an Airline Pilot love to practice my Uke on overnight trips). If you did take your Uke with you everywhere you go like I do you would "get it". And my Uke is no beater, it is a beautiful Kala. It is thinner than my Kailua, but sounds almost as rich do to it's concave back. If you get a chance to play a Kala Travel Uke you will probably fall in love with it as I have, my favorite uke.

YosemiteHike173.jpg

YosemiteHike174.jpg

Attachments

• 0014email - logan halfdome1.jpg
    0014email - logan halfdome1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 0015email - logan halfdome2.jpg
    0015email - logan halfdome2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 2
So that's what Airline Pilots do in the cockpit during long, overnight flights? What do your co-workers think of your playing? Got a little kanikapila going up front?

I just flew in (HNL to SeaTac) last Sat/Sun (15th/16th), but tried to sleep most of the way. I had my 6-string Concert with me, but no room nor privacy to play. I had packed my Risa Soprano Solid in my check-in bag.

OK, I'm officially envious of your job.

Keep uke-in' up in the friendly skies,

Last edited:
Well I still don't get it. I flew from atlanta to honolulu with my tenor. Played it in my seat quietly so as to not offened anyone dleeping. I have hiked parts of appalachian trail as well as trout fish the chattooga river with my kala soprano. I have also taken it on 500 mile motorcyle rides and it fits well in my saddle bags. The travel uke isn't worth the money when I can get a soprano that will do the same thing.

Top Bottom