Compliment to the Flea?

bongofury

Reaction score
I currently have a Ukelyptus soprano flea and am looking into getting another soprano to compliment it. Something that sounds totally different, and that can be warmer or brighter.

My price range is $150-200. I've been looking into the following ukes:

Ohana SK-35 solid mahogany
Ohana SK-50 cedar top
Ohana SK-70 spruce top
Ohana Sopranino
Mainland solid mahogany
Mainland cedar top

Anyone that has a flea have any suggestions on what to get?

Thanks!

I can't speak for the Ohanas, but I have the Mainland cedar soprano along with a Flea, and I love it. It has a very big sound for its size (and price), seems louder and fuller and a little more resonant than the Flea. It has the factory Aquilas on it, and I haven't tried any other strings on it. I haven't tried Aquilas on the Flea for a truly controlled experiment though.

The Mainland cedar is just a bit higher than your price range, the mahogany is within your range. I actually preferred the look of the mahogany, but the cedar just had a bit more brightness to my ear when tried side by side.

Good luck with your decision!

Ohana SK-50 cedar top
Ohana SK-70 spruce top
Mainland cedar top

These three are top contenders in my book. I am waiting on an Ohana SK-70 for review in Ukulele Player. Cedar-topped ukes just get sweeter with age. Either of those two will make you happy.

I currently have a Ukelyptus soprano flea and am looking into getting another soprano to compliment it.

I had a soprano compliment my Flea once.

"That's a nice-looking ukulele," she said.

JJ

Thanks for the input guys. I'm leaning towards getting the Ohana cedar top now. The body looks to be a bit bulkier than a typical soprano though. Not necessarily a bad thing, as I'm guessing it's louder. Anyone have experience with this model?

I had a soprano compliment my Flea once.

"That's a nice-looking ukulele," she said.

:D ...and then a tenor walked up and asked "Why don't you play a more serious size?"

Try the Ohana concert sized 70 round back.......... It has a polycarbonate round back and spruce top....... Plenty of punch due to its larger size.....

MGM has them on sale for 159.00 shipped (gig bag and aquilas included)

Think about the sopranino, I love mine. Bit of a different sound and a great compliment to the soprano.

When I think of compliment to a Flea I think Fluke, what a pair.

Top Bottom