PDA

View Full Version : Compliment to the Flea?

bongofury
08-21-2009, 10:47 AM
I currently have a Ukelyptus soprano flea and am looking into getting another soprano to compliment it. Something that sounds totally different, and that can be warmer or brighter.

My price range is $150-200. I've been looking into the following ukes:

Ohana SK-35 solid mahogany
Ohana SK-50 cedar top
Ohana SK-70 spruce top
Ohana Sopranino
Mainland solid mahogany
Mainland cedar top

Anyone that has a flea have any suggestions on what to get?

Thanks!

david e
08-21-2009, 02:54 PM
I can't speak for the Ohanas, but I have the Mainland cedar soprano along with a Flea, and I love it. It has a very big sound for its size (and price), seems louder and fuller and a little more resonant than the Flea. It has the factory Aquilas on it, and I haven't tried any other strings on it. I haven't tried Aquilas on the Flea for a truly controlled experiment though.

The Mainland cedar is just a bit higher than your price range, the mahogany is within your range. I actually preferred the look of the mahogany, but the cedar just had a bit more brightness to my ear when tried side by side.

Good luck with your decision!

Pippin
08-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Ohana SK-50 cedar top
Ohana SK-70 spruce top
Mainland cedar top

These three are top contenders in my book. I am waiting on an Ohana SK-70 for review in Ukulele Player. Cedar-topped ukes just get sweeter with age. Either of those two will make you happy.

deach
08-22-2009, 01:51 AM
I've played a couple Mainland cedar tops and they are awesome!

Ukulele JJ
08-22-2009, 06:32 AM
I currently have a Ukelyptus soprano flea and am looking into getting another soprano to compliment it.

I had a soprano compliment my Flea once.

"That's a nice-looking ukulele," she said.

JJ

david e
08-22-2009, 06:52 AM

JJ

That's funny!

bongofury
08-22-2009, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I'm leaning towards getting the Ohana cedar top now. The body looks to be a bit bulkier than a typical soprano though. Not necessarily a bad thing, as I'm guessing it's louder. Anyone have experience with this model?

:D ...and then a tenor walked up and asked "Why don't you play a more serious size?"

dentuke
08-22-2009, 07:04 AM
Try the Ohana concert sized 70 round back.......... It has a polycarbonate round back and spruce top....... Plenty of punch due to its larger size.....

MGM has them on sale for 159.00 shipped (gig bag and aquilas included)

uke552
08-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Think about the sopranino, I love mine. Bit of a different sound and a great compliment to the soprano.

Ahnko Honu
08-22-2009, 07:45 AM
When I think of compliment to a Flea I think Fluke, what a pair.