University presentation about ukulele.

sputnik1nz

Reaction score
Waaaaaaay down south in a small City called Dunedi
HI UUer's, im currently in my final year of my primary teaching degree in NZ and i take a paper called issues in music. I have a seminar that i have to present to the class and i have decided to do mine on the Ukulele. I can basically do anything, but i have to talk about things like its potential for children's arts learning, technology innovations, cultural and life long educational implications, and relevance to the community.

I was wondering if any UUer's have any ideas that would help me in blowing the minds of the people i present this too. id like to add a practicle aspect to the seminar also.

im not expecting anyone to do this for me, just ideas would be great.

thanx

-Chris

Just hang out here long enough and you'll learn things. Show them a vid of Aldines or Jakes, that'll blow their minds. We have a couple of teachers who teach uke to kids, it's so much better than the requisite recorder. My four kids have joined me in music since I started playing uke. It is the perfect instrument to bring people of different musical abilities together.

Talk about Roy Sakuma's ukulele studio. Majority of the students are younger than 15. There's a huge festival they hold every year, which many people go to.

It takes care of "potential for children's arts learning" and "relevance to the community" :D

And I went to Roy's myself, so I might be able to help out a bit

You might want to mention the outreach that KoAloha does every year - Kaneohe til the end works for them and posted some great pictures of the build that KoAloha did with kids on Molokai (I think!)... KoAlohaPaul is also a member here...

You should look up J. Chalmers Doane and his work in Canada. He introduced ukulele into the education system in Canada.

You should look up J. Chalmers Doane and his work in Canada. He introduced ukulele into the education system in Canada.
Check out James Hill's lesson program as well for contemporary stuff, and there is a video somewhere of Nipper from the UK (from Ukecast) telling about ukulele in the classroom.

But it is a university paper, so do some research yourself and make a plan, maybe we can help you with resources then. The idea itself should be yours.

HI UUer's, im currently in my final year of my primary teaching degree in NZ and i take a paper called issues in music. I have a seminar that i have to present to the class and i have decided to do mine on the Ukulele. I can basically do anything, but i have to talk about things like its potential for children's arts learning, technology innovations, cultural and life long educational implications, and relevance to the community.

I was wondering if any UUer's have any ideas that would help me in blowing the minds of the people i present this too. id like to add a practicle aspect to the seminar also.

thanx

-Chris

Hmm Something that has to deal with kids yah? You can talk about the design. Where it is from. What are the basic parts of the Ukulele are. You can talk about the "C" chord progression and the "C" scale. But for sure do a segment on the history of the Ukulele with a song demo!

thanx

-Chris

*hands Chris a drink* Where ya from? :)

or more specifically, where in NZ are you currently based (if it's ok for me to ask)?

Have you got yourself a copy of Kiwi Ukulele yet? It's well worth the money!

In the local scene we have the Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra, the Big Muffin Serious Band, the Two Tix EdUKEation thing, the probably more relevant Play It Strange

Seems we have a uke festival in the Hawke's Bay coming up too

And these look fantastic :)

If it's any other help, here's a related speech by Judith Tizard, a TV3 piece on Uni and her Uke, TVNZ piece on Taimane Gardner and it goes on... just chuck "ukuleles NZ" into google and have a hunt around.

Surely something in there will inspire ya, good luck :)

Last edited:

This was my first thought as well.

He's got a website where you might be able to contact him through. (There's also a page where you can download a number of the Lps done by his students.)

You might also want to look up the Berkeley Ukulele Club that Mike DaSilva runs in California. By all accounts it is one of the larger and most successful of its kind that caters to all levels of player. I've met a few people who've been to them and they sound like a blast.

I'd also suggest hitting up Myspace. Lots of players and groups and clubs and orchestras to be found and talked to and information gleaned.

(and then go see the Bats or the latest revamped version of the Chills for me and tell them I said "Hello")

Last edited:
you can discuss importance of music and art in a society since generally speaking, we are a bankrupt culture compared to other nations. Children's programs stressing music, art and expression are an excellent beginning in reviving the arts in America.

ukes are great for children and are implemented in alot of programs for them...sopranos are perfect size and price for little ones to beat on. All the music is happy and heartwarming, but you can also rock the ukulele any way you like.

look at some of the great uke players and discover their history...Hawaii and all its islands are an excellent resource of culture and discovery within America since they are off the mainland. You can also look into ukulele builders and luthiers and gain a little understanding about their lifelong love for the uke.

you can look at cigar box ukuleles in a difficult economy and the resources for homemade instruments.

**All that academia aside...you need a to get a local uke club to come in and finish off with a little song set. You can exemplify everything you discussed right there for them all to see. Try to have a wide variety of ages if you can, but even a whole group of old folks would still drive it home real nice like

Last edited:
WoW everyone this is amazing. thankyou so much!

@Whetu: im down in Dunedin :)
I had no idea we had such a large uke community here in NZ.

p.s. thanks for the drink, i needed it. will have another if u dont mind

Ah, the scarfie drinking lifestyle... oh how I haven't given it up :D ok, here's another drink :cheers:

I don't have my copy of the kiwi ukulele book near me, so I can't reference its NZ map for any Dunedin/Southland based groups, the furthest south I can think of off the top of my head is the Canty Uni group:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Okeover-Ukulele-Orchestra/213521145312

shoot mike@kiwiukulele.co.nz an email though, he should be able to direct you to some local players... or I might remember tonight to dig out the book

thanx

-Chris

One point I like to bring up about the ukulele is that it is a lifelong social instrument. Recorder is fine, but are you going to sit around with friends and jam on that??? I am an elementary music teacher and my philosophy is to promote lifelong learning. That means that I want to inspire my students to be musical when they leave my classroom and school overall. They can enjoy playing and singing with the ukulele throughout their whole lives. I would love to have the note from your presentation when you are finished!! Thanks for being an advocate! :shaka:

Top Bottom