Question for those who make videos...

misterdub

Reaction score
Let me just say: I have even more respect for those of you who makes videos now. I'm working on making my first video. I've got two songs that I feel like I knew up, down and sideways: Redemption Song and I Will Follow You Into the Dark. They're in my daily practice routine.

As soon as that camera goes on it's like I've never picked up a ukulele before in my life. Seriously. I've got a whole folder full of outtakes that if I ever manage to make it through the song, I'll put at the end. Tell me this gets easier! :D

So, out of curiousity and because I need a break from the filming: what's the average number of takes you guys do for a video? What's your record (if you've ever kept count)?

Even the real movie makers do scenes over and over. Most of the time I am never happy with the way I do a song with the uke or on the fiddle and I have been playing 20 years. When you make a video and you aren't happy with it hit the delete button and do it over. Some times it comes out right after a few takes and sometimes you will never get it the way you like it.

Joe T

I have almost no patience for retakes. About the most I can handle is 3. And probably half the time we only do one take. I've given up hoping for perfection and content myself with adequacy. :eek:

It's rare that I get a vid down in one take, most of the time it takes a lot of tries. And it happens to me that I get tired of it after 20 or more takes so that I remit it to the next day... the problem with videos and recordings is that you can hear every little mistake. so if you wanna do it as good as possible do it again and again and again...

The hard part is repeating the clever little spoken introduction each time and making it sound natural. Or you can set your uke down and pick it up right before each take. It's crucial that you do this so that the viewers think you just sat down and did it in one take. ;)

I used to take like 10 takes per a song, but what I've started doing that really works for me is ill set up to record, play the song once or twice through without recording then turn on the cam and record, then it usually only takes 2 or 3 takes.

I've only recorded 2 vids but the 1st one I shot took me like 50 takes. I was so nervous that I kept either messing up the chords or forgeting the words. After the 25th take I wanted to give up but really glad I didn't. 2nd vid was 2 takes... Damn nerves!!!

i usually try to get it in one. i only record when im in the mood. if im not in the mood i dont even bother. most takes i do is 2-3. but end up going with the first one.

I usually do allright on the first, then try again and fail completely, and keep messing up until I give up

I have no problem spending a few hours for a take with which I'm happy. In fact, I find it a good learning experience, and great fun. As I go along, I see little (or big) things wrong in my approach, my lyrics, the vocals, whatever, and so the song changes as I go. All it costs is time, and, hey, if I have to spend a bit longer playing ukulele and singing ... well, I can think of worse fates in this world. The only time I get frustrated is when my fingers get so tired that I start to play worse, or if my voice is so gone that I can't sing anymore. (But heck, a few of my songs have even been better by virtue of my voice having devolved into a growly thrash.) Just have fun.

My top tip for what it's worth.

1/ Go in to the room where I record my videos.
2/ Set up and switch on the camera/audio to record
3/ Forget about it
4/ Get my uke and lyrics (if required) together
5/ Tune up and warm up
6/ Perform the song a couple of times

This way, I am ignoring the fact that there is a camera there. You get a lot of extraneous footage and audio but I simply edit it and delete it. It means that I rarely do more than two or three takes and they are fairly natural performances because (even though I may be looking into camera) I am not concerned about it or aware of it.
Just occasionally, though, I will not be able to get it right and end up doing loads of takes but, as Lisa says, this begins to take the fun out of it so I'd rather have a video with mistakes than one I hate doing.

Tony

ps It is not unknown for me to do a few imperfect videos and edit the good bits together to get one OK video.

I have no problem spending a few hours for a take with which I'm happy. In fact, I find it a good learning experience, and great fun. As I go along, I see little (or big) things wrong in my approach, my lyrics, the vocals, whatever, and so the song changes as I go. All it costs is time, and, hey, if I have to spend a bit longer playing ukulele and singing ... well, I can think of worse fates in this world. The only time I get frustrated is when my fingers get so tired that I start to play worse, or if my voice is so gone that I can't sing anymore. (But heck, a few of my songs have even been better by virtue of my voice having devolved into a growly thrash.) Just have fun.

I do agree entirely!

I'm new to videos as well, but I limit it to 5 takes (simply because I don't have the patience to go any longer).

Sometimes I leave the little mistakes in because it makes the video seem more natural. Obviously, this would be different if you're trying to do something professional grade.

My dog Harley sings (my wife says I'm hurting his ears) when I play. After a while, my other dog Brattie sometimes joins in. I only do a video when I and the dogs are in the mood and I don't do multiple takes. I am mediocre and know it so my standards aren't too high, I'm just having fun. Come join in the fun at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WhenDogsSing

Top Bottom