Anyone have a Honu Uke?

vcowman

Reaction score
Ukulele Ghetto guy loves his, he rated it right below his Koa Works Tenor! Anyone else have one? What do you think?

Are they made in China by Kala?

Haha, I'm the Ukulele Ghetto guy. From what I've found, Honus are either made in Korea, Vietnam, or Indonesia (currently seems to be Vietnam or Indonesia). My particular one with the honu shaped bridge and koa buttons is made in Vietnam and seems to be available only in Japan.

I'd like to hear from other Honu owners too. I did get a chance to play a normal Honu concert a couple of months ago. It had Kala Reds and sounded good but not great. It should be noted that mine only sounded great (to me) with Worth CD strings. Other strings I tried, including Worth BM, Aquila, & KoAloha colored strings, were only OK on it.

word up man, does anyone have a hamano? Heard they are good too!:D

I got a honu tenor

I live in Japan so I've played both versions US and Japan. The ones I've seen in Japan are a little better than the ones in the US. The Japanese ones have a little better wood, abalone inlays, HONU shaped bridge and abalone HONU fret markers. I bought the US version just cause it was cheaper and had a pickup installed. The Japanese tenor with the pickup, cutaway body and all the abalone costs about $1200 give or take. I was happy when I got my Us version from MGM but I was also a little dissappointed cause it wasn't as nice as the Japanese version. inside the body the glue around the braces were a little sloppy and the finish is not as nice either. I guess you get what you pay for.

The G-String Honu (Completely different brand!) is on my short list because: 1 - I'm curious about G-String, and 2 - I love Honu's. I even have 4 in a tattoo on my leg. :D

... I love Honu's. I even have 4 in a tattoo on my leg. :D

AWESOME! I have 5! One for each one of my kids.

148519674.jpg

Here's mine, on my inner right leg, just above the ankle:

I'd like to get a couple of honus in that more traditional style like you have, but joined together on the wrist for my husband and I. I just have to decide if I want just flat black or slightly larger black and gray.

Attachments

• 2007335103724.jpg
    2007335103724.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Cummon plainsong, give us pics, haha lol. Thats not a bad idea for a tatoo, a honu for each kid. I don't have any, tatoos that is, but I do have 3 girls...hmmm.

I personally don't like the looks of the Honu uke due to the round headstock. To me it looks kind of strange.

i have a concert honu. it is a kdx model which doesn't have the honu bridge. i like turtles so i knew i was gonna get one when i saw it on ebay. i love the headstock, i love the honu logo, i love the little honu fret markers. it didn't sound so great with the original strings that it came with. so i took ukulele ghetto guy's suggestion and switched them to worth cd's. what a difference does it make! i love it. a very unique looking uke.

Top Bottom