Kala Travel Size Ukulele

I tried one Tenor, it has a surprising sound projection, considering how thin it's body is.
Quite a good sounding instrument, and the slim body looks great.

I played the concert and soprano versions (at least that's what I think I played) at George's Music in WPB today and I was impressed. Nice looking and sounding instruments. They do look odd being so thin but when you hold them it is not noticeable. They were strung with what looked like Aquillas, BTW.

Kala Soprano

I bought the soprano and it is amazing. The sound is great and it really looks beautiful. It comes with a custom padded soft case. You won't be disappointed.

Tried one out at the Aloha Stadium swap meet today. You really don't notice how slim it is unless you look down at it. It fits naturally to me. Couldn't really hear it because it was so windy at the stadium.

Tried one out at the Aloha Stadium swap meet today. You really don't notice how slim it is unless you look down at it. It fits naturally to me. Couldn't really hear it because it was so windy at the stadium.

is that a good thing or a bad thing (not hearing it)?

I have a soprano Kala tavel uke and I LOVE it

The Kala travel uke is amazing. The back of the body is bowed which lets it project nicely for such a thin uke. It is so small and easy to pack we take it everywhere. As you can see it was quite popular on top of Half Dome in Yosemite ;)

Attachments

• 0015email - logan halfdome2.jpg
    0015email - logan halfdome2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 73
I too was at the Aloha Stadium swapmeet, only it was 2 or 3 Sundays ago, early August. I played the uke at (probably) the same vendor's booth. He's the guy with a bunch of Kanile'as hanging on the wall.

I got a nice form-fitting hard case for my 6-string Island Ukulele for $35.

If you're looking for ukes at the Aloha Stadium swapmeet, go to the North (?) side, facing Pearl Harbor, row/section 5 I believe. He's got a wide variety of playable ukes.

Last edited:
is that a good thing or a bad thing (not hearing it)?

Hi Haole John,
It was really, really windy. I mean blowing down some of the tarps windy. All the ukes, even the Kanielas were difficult to hear with the ambient noise.

Plus, I'm not a hard strummer myself. I'm mostly a sit in my office chair and play for myself kind of guy!

Kala Travel Ukulele. Absolutely brilliant in every way. I put Worth strings on mine for a slightly different sound. We should have a Ukulele like this issued at birth.

I asked Aldrine what he thought of the travel size ukulele during one of his live lessons, and he didn't seem impressed. But then again, I don't think he played it or anything.
His retort was that the ukulele is travel size, and I must say, I agree with him. The bigger ukuleles max out at about a yard's length, and my tenor is only three inches(two and a-half inches give or take) thick. How much thinner does an ukulele have to be to be considered "travel size"? haha I wouldn't mind trying the travel uke out however, I might even end up eating my own words and buying a travel size uke :) I'm open minded

I was wondering if anyone has taken a look or even tried the Kala travel size ukulele. I have been doing a lot of traveling and I thought this might be a really good Ukulele to invest in!

http://www.kalaukulele.com/Kala Ukulele Travel Uke.html

Here is the website for the Travel size Ukulele.

I guess I just don't understand why anyone would need a "travel size" ukulele. These are ukuleles we're talking about--they are all, by definition, travel size. If they're still too big, maybe one should take up the flute...?

The travel size ukulele is easier in a back pack or suitcase. My guess is that Kala have achieved a really good design and created an instrument that will be copied by other producers. Yes Ukuleles are easily moved but the Kala design has improved sound quality in a even narrower instrument. I bet if Aldrine got hold of one he would see and hear the merits of the KA SS TU. Kala should send him one.

Kala travel size ukulele

Did Kala ever send a travel uke out to Aldrine or any one else for review?

A friend bought a Kala Traveluke soprano, I was so impressed I bought one immediately. It would be slightly easier to tote than a "standard" soprano, I guess, but just thinking of it as a regular soprano, it blows away many at the same price or higher.

They really are very good ukes, and they come with a snug, embroidered, padded bag.

Ukantor.

Does anyone have any review vids or links to vids for these?

I just like the thought of a smaller high-quality uke...

Top Bottom