What mustn't I miss when I visit Oahu in November?

Amy

Reaction score
Just heard that I am actually, really getting to teach (I teach knitting-related classes) in Honolulu this November and am FREAKED OUT!

Of course I know to take a factory tour (I'm going with KoAloha), but what else mustn't I miss, uke-related or not? I've never been to Hawai'i, am not a sun-worshipper, but do love the water, and I love to get the real feel of a place when I visit.

Any chance there's a uke jam planned around the weekend of November 14th? I don't suppose Aldrine is holding another UU festival in November? (A girl could hope :)

Freaked out with the happy!
Amy
:shaka::shaka::shaka::shaka:

so jealous!!!!

i went 2 christmases ago and i cant wait to go back! hopefully next spring...

i was there for a basketball tournament so i didnt do too man touristy things but my favorite thing was the surfing lessons we took in waikiki...awesome experience
we also went to germaines luau...pretty fun http://www.germainesluau.com/

I recommend that you not miss lunch at the Island Manapua Factory in Manoa. :shaka:

--Mark

Halekoa has the most awesomest Sunday Champagne Brunch.

I would go to Polynesian Cultural Center......Go to Shimazu's for Shave Ice......Go shopping at Ala Moana.........Visit the MUSIC STORES!!!............Go to Ko'olina (I prefer the Naia and Ulua lagoons, but all of them are good)............Or if not thebeach, go to Hawaiian Waters.

*EDIT*

If you go to Ko Olina, you'll have to go EARLY RLY RLY RLY RLY EARLY, or you won't get parking

Last edited:
Ooh, all of this sounds amazing! Thank you for the tips, and please keep them coming! I'm writing it all down!

As for the timing, I don't think I'll match up with your schedule, Toucan Mango -- I'll probably arrive before the 14th and go home soon after. (Sorry! Would have been nice to meet!) I'll have the winter issue of my magazine to get live when I get back, and I don't expect to be doing any editing or coding while on this trip. Though with the length of the flights, I probably COULD get a lot done :)

Local music stores. I reccomend Easy Music Center. You'll never see such a good selection with such good prices as on hawaii. Hawaii craigslist is great too.

But for other things, I'd reccomend you try rock climbing or hiking. Rock climbing hawaii offers guided rock climbing for beginners, and if you haven't done it and want something extreme, rock climbing wins. (I personally am not too big on the skydiving and shark caging, but I hear that's fun too.) Yes there is sun w the hiking and climbing, but it's so worth it.

Gotta try malasadas. Leonards is something that I guess they're bussing tourists to now as the "authentic" hawaii experience.

ALOHA STADIUM FLEA MARKET! Best place to buy yourself, and friends nice island gifts. You can even find good deals on 'ukuleles there. :shaka:

Go eat Hawaiian food at either Masa & Joyce's Fish Market in Kaneohe town (when you visit MGM and Kanile'a), and/or at Ono's Hawaiian Foods located on Kapahulu Ave. just minutes from Waikiki. :D

If you like Hawaiian history go visit The Bishop Museum. If you like scenic hikes hiking Diamond Head is fun & pretty easy, so is the hike to the Makapu'u Point Lighthouse, awesome views.

If you like scenic hikes hiking Diamond Head is fun & pretty easy, so is the hike to the Makapu'u Point Lighthouse, awesome views.

Minimum, take the "hike" up Diamond Head. As a kid, we used to push our bikes up the trail and rip it down. Can't do that now - there's rails, and way more people, I think. As a kid, you never really notice anyone else.

Seriously, the Arizona Memorial is a must see (its free). If you're into WWII nostalgia, the USS Missouri a stones throw from the Arizona (but you have to drive around).

In November, if there's an early swell, the North Shore is the place to be for surf. Not to get in and surf, but certainly to see.

If you're taking the drive to Kaneohe, be sure to take the Pali going there and stop by the Nu`uanu Pali Lookout (before you go through the tunnels) - the view is breathtaking (when you go, find out what significance the cliffs have in Hawaiian history - re: King Kamehameha). Of course, have MGM show you where Zippy's is.

Friday during lunch at Nico's Pier 38, Ramon Camarillo (and friends) play from 1130am - 2pm. Lunch is really good, especially if you like fresh fish - the fish auction is right next door. If you're lucky, local artists (especially Ledward Kaapana) show up and jam with them. Of course, Led plays Kona Brewing Company on Sunday nights from 6 pm.

David Kamakahi has the Saturday night gig at Uncle's (right next to Nico's), or he used to. Bryan Tolentino has been seen at Tiki's in Waikiki with Weldon Kekauoha.

Too bad you're not there the following weekend (or is it the weekend after) for the Ukulele Guild of Hawaii Annual Exhibition and Conference being held at Honolulu Community College.

-Aaron

ALOHA STADIUM FLEA MARKET! Best place to buy yourself, and friends nice island gifts. You can even find good deals on 'ukuleles there. :shaka:

Go eat Hawaiian food at either Masa & Joyce's Fish Market in Kaneohe town (when you visit MGM and Kanile'a), and/or at Ono's Hawaiian Foods located on Kapahulu Ave. just minutes from Waikiki. :D

If you like Hawaiian history go visit The Bishop Museum. If you like scenic hikes hiking Diamond Head is fun & pretty easy, so is the hike to the Makapu'u Point Lighthouse, awesome views.

All of this! I have to scream it though, you need to go to Ono's. Right by Ono's is another place called Rainbow. Great Loco Moco.

If you're big on eating what locals eat check out Side Street Cafe.

I'm also a fan of Zippys, but some people aren't.

Have fun, but make time to slow down and soak it in. Vacations go by fast, but the best times I have had in Hawaii is taking it easy with loved ones and friends.

OH! Almost forgot!!! Up the windward side before north shore... SRHIMP TRUCKS. Its like catering trucks, but just for shrimp thats caught just off shore. Its great!

Local music stores. I reccomend Easy Music Center.

Gotta try malasadas. Leonards is something that I guess they're bussing tourists to now as the "authentic" hawaii experience.

Easy Music FTW, you gotta go there

Oooh, I forgot about Leonards. You have not lived till you've eaten malasadas :D

P.S. The Swap Meet is pretty darn awesome too, esp. the FOOD, but it's very hot and crowded.

Last edited:
the Ukulele Guild of Hawaii Annual Exhibition and Conference being held at Honolulu Community College.

-Aaron

I know the message not for me but mahalo for the info, I'm there. I was told by a couple luthiers that I should join if I like start making 'ukuleles. I've been watching "The Ukulele Builders Workshop" in Olelo 56 every time I member to. What days exactly? Maybe see you there. :shaka:

I know the message not for me but mahalo for the info, I'm there. I was told by a couple luthiers that I should join if I like start making 'ukuleles. I've been watching "The Ukulele Builders Workshop" in Olelo 56 every time I member to. What days exactly? Maybe see you there. :shaka:

November 21-22 Weekend. I'll probably be teaching another inlay class. You can join prior to and start getting the newsletters, which will have info regarding the Exhibition, and probably more on next years shows which will be an exhibit, and another as a seminar/conference (in the planning stages).

http://www.ukuleleguild.org/

And, its easy to join online as well.

http://www.ukuleleguild.org/membership.php#join

BTW, what is up the 'Ukulele Hero thing? Gotta tell the mods to add in the okina.

November 21-22 Weekend. I'll probably be teaching another inlay class. You can join prior to and start getting the newsletters, which will have info regarding the Exhibition, and probably more on next years shows which will be an exhibit, and another as a seminar/conference (in the planning stages).

http://www.ukuleleguild.org/

And, its easy to join online as well.

http://www.ukuleleguild.org/membership.php#join

BTW, what is up the 'Ukulele Hero thing? Gotta tell the mods to add in the okina.

Aloha Aaron, Mahalo for the info, I'm planning on being there.
Post whores who make 2000 posts earn the "Hero" moniker, not sure if it's an honor or shame. :D

I would go to Polynesian Cultural Center......Go to Shimazu's for Shave Ice......Go shopping at Ala Moana.........Visit the MUSIC STORES!!!............Go to Ko'olina (I prefer the Naia and Ulua lagoons, but all of them are good)............Or if not thebeach, go to Hawaiian Waters.

*EDIT*

If you go to Ko Olina, you'll have to go EARLY RLY RLY RLY RLY EARLY, or you won't get parking

:D:D Funny, I did all this in May... except I went to Waiola for shave ice...:D:D

http://discover808.com/?p=158

Maybe instead of going to shimazu's you should go in the noth shore...better atmosphere than shimazu's,which is right on the road, but so ono!

Top Bottom