Should I get a capo or not?

Reaction score
Every once in a while I encounter a song where I either need to tune my uke a little higher or just use a capo. Problem is, I don't have a capo. So I try to use my index finger to bar all the strings and then play the chords with my remaining three fingers. In concept, that would solve my problem. In reality, I'm a beginner and have only just begun to get my index, middle, and ring fingers to remember the basic chords. Trying to switch to the other three fingers while maintaining enough pressure with my index finger is pretty challenging.

So should I buy a capo? Or should I just keep practicing until I get it down? Part of me really wants to be skilled enough to do it the hard way, and I know that practicing is the way to achieve that. But another part of me remembers that the reason I'm playing ukulele is for enjoyment, so why frustrate myself. I'm allowed to take shortcuts in pursuit of happiness.

I'll probably just buy one and use it sometimes, while also practicing the other technique. But I want to know what you all think first. Thoughts?

IN MY OPINION: No way. Learn those bar chords. Then you'll have even more enjoyment. I promise that it won't take as long as you think, and your frustrations will get lesser and lesser with each success until whenever something challenging comes along, you'll see it as a good time to learn those things instead of frustrating.

I'm no master or anything, but those are my thought about it.

Using a capo doesn't make you a better or worse player. Plenty of great players on a whole lot of instruments use capos. Its a tool for different sounds buts its not a substiution for barre chords. Do both!

The issue I have with barring is that with a chord that does require 3 fingers I couldn't pinky-mute anymore. And I like pinky-mutes. :(

The issue I have with barring is that with a chord that does require 3 fingers I couldn't pinky-mute anymore. And I like pinky-mutes. :(

well, in that case you can still slightly lift your fingers to get a pretty similar mute...

Why not both? There are times when barring will work and sound fine, and others when you'll want to do more complicated things that will require a capo.

The only ukes I've played that sound ok with a capo are tenors (in my opinion). The rest sound kind of dead. I use a capo alot on a guitar and some on a bari, but just barr on my concerts and sopranos.

been playing with a youth band lately and every thing is in D and E which kills the hand when using barre chords so often.

as an aside playing with a capo allows more hammer ons, and pull offs anyway?

get one but learn more barre chords too, plus lifting the barre is like a pinky mute anyway in its own way

Cliff

Top Bottom