Easy First Song

nkorb21

Reaction score
Hi I just started playing the ukulele about a week ago. I have a few of the basic chords down, such as: C,D,A,F,G and a few others. I'm trying to learn an easy song to get me started. I'm very new to this, although the ukulele isn't my first instrument; I also play piano and drums. :)

Any suggestions?:confused:

I was trying to learn the F.U.N song from Spongebob because it looked like a fun, easy tune... but I couldn't quite get he strumming down :( I still have so much to learn.

Heres a link to the tab I was using. http://www.ukulele-tabs.com/uke-songs/spongebob+squarepants/f.u.n-uke-tab-12072.html

Any help is much appreciated. :cool:

Before I say anything, let me say that I have no idea what that song is supposed to sound like, so <shrug>
But if I were to play that song (without having heard it), I would strum it like this-
I would do a straight down-up strum on 1 &, four counts on D, four on G, found on D, and then one down on A7, followed by a glissando drawn down
So that would be:
Code:
D               G               D               A7
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
D U D U D U D U D U D U D U D U D U D U D U D U D   (draw-down)
The second half of that verses would be the same, except for the last measure which I would do like this:
Code:
A7      D       
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 
D U D U D
And then second verse would be the same. But, like I said, I've never heard the song, so, take that for what you will. Good luck!

I would suggest hitting Google to find some of the songbooks put out by some of the bigger uke clubs (try "ukulele club songbook"). Usually the arrangements have been well tested and many of the songs are pretty easy to play.

Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz and the Taunton Ukulele Strummers Club have pretty good books.

--Mark

here is a thread with a list of a whole lot of songs that only use c, g, am and f chords

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8683&highlight=chord+progression,+songs

Good steer. :)

Incidentally, if C, Am, F, G (key of C Maj) turns out to not suit your vocal range you can play G, Em, C, D (Key of G Maj) which pitches the progression at a different level for the vocal.

If you can play the chords to a song in both C and G then most times whoever is singing will be able to manage one or the other of those keys. Chord shapes are nice and easy in both keys too. :) :shaka:

Before I say anything, let me say that I have no idea what that song is supposed to sound like, so <shrug>
But if I were to play that song (without having heard it), I would strum it like this-
I would do a straight down-up strum on 1 &, four counts on D, four on G, found on D, and then one down on A7, followed by a glissando drawn down
So that would be:
Code:
D               G               D               A7
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
D U D U D U D U D U D U D U D U D U D U D U D U D   (draw-down)
The second half of that verses would be the same, except for the last measure which I would do like this:
Code:
A7      D       
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 
D U D U D
And then second verse would be the same. But, like I said, I've never heard the song, so, take that for what you will. Good luck!

I found out that the actual strumming is Down, down, up, up, down, up. I just figured out how to play it!

Thank you!! This helped me so much!

Last edited:
I tried to find easy songs which I loved and so knew the songs melody really well. I found a lot of very helpful info on these forums actually, one being the Ukulele lessons youtube channel. Not only are the songs easy, they teach you new strumming patterns. On top of that, it is a lot of fun playing along with this guy! Take me home country roads was a lot of fun to learn.

Also, a song that I find useful to practice your picking in a fun way is Moonlight sonata. I am far from perfecting it myself but it is fun practice.

Hope that helped

Top Bottom