Any thoughts on the Mitchell MU100 Koa Concert Ukulele?

noah_clinnson

Reaction score
Because a fellow in my area is selling it pretty cheap and I was wondering if anyone could give any feedback on it positive or negative.

I've played with them at Guitar Center. I honestly liked the cheaper MU-70 better, in my opinion the MU-100 sounded a lot quieter and more "dead". However, I could tell the strings were worn and old, so maybe I didn't get an accurate impression. A decent set of strings can work wonders on some ukuleles. I'd say if you're getting a good deal, get it and restring it with some nicer strings. Their stock stings don't sound too great. Aside from that, it is a very nice looking instrument.

Last edited:
my mu-70 sounds like crap... so I can't say I like Mitchell ukuleles anymore. How cheap is cheap? If it's less than 100 bucks, I'd buy it. But if it's more, then no.

Most anything is a step up from my 12 fret Lanikai soprano... He's selling it for 50 so I kinda jumped on it without looking into it.

I have been playing an MU-100 for two years now and all I can tell you is to run away from that deal as fast as you can. It isn't worth $50, I would honestly just save up a bit for a better ukulele in the $200-$300 range, it shouldn't take much longer to save up a bit more money for a far superior uke.

my mu-70 sounds like crap... so I can't say I like Mitchell ukuleles anymore. How cheap is cheap? If it's less than 100 bucks, I'd buy it. But if it's more, then no.

Try stringing it with kala reds.

I have been playing an MU-100 for two years now and all I can tell you is to run away from that deal as fast as you can. It isn't worth $50, I would honestly just save up a bit for a better ukulele in the $200-$300 range, it shouldn't take much longer to save up a bit more money for a far superior uke.

Hmmm... if I feel like I don't need a new ukulele by the end of the day I'll walk away from it. :rolleyes: We'll see what happens.

Hmmm... if I feel like I don't need a new ukulele by the end of the day I'll walk away from it. :rolleyes: We'll see what happens.

My MU-100 sounds decent and played OK. It would be a good uke to learn on but I wouldn't consider it THE uke you would want to stay with long term. Less bing and more attention to intonation and fret dressing would suit be better thinking back on the purchase. Basically, got sucked into the abalone shell and binding at that price point and had to have it. But after that wore off, it now resides as a banger, take-a-long uke when I go on vacations....e.lo...

Gah, even if you don't want it you could buy and sell it for a profit, my roommate got one which I ended up buying from him and paid $200 for it. As far as how it plays, it is pretty quite, because it's pretty heavily laminated all around.

Thanks for the input but...

Well, I don't think it's going to happen :(

The fellows on Craig's list and he's being extremely difficult to contact. He gave me a phone number that keeps sending me straight to voice mail and he won't email me back... The last email he sent me said someone was picking it up Wednesday but it's still mine if I get it before then, the problem is, he hasn't sent me an address.

Wish I had read this earlier today...

Hi All,

I am new here. I have been watching the videos hosted by Aldrine Guerrero posted by ukuleleunderground on Youtube and they have been a HUGE help on picking a ukulele for a beginner. So I had my heart set on a Kamoa ukulele, and wanted to go somewhere local to test out the differences in tenors and concerts and laminates and hardwoods in person...so I went to my area GuitarCenter. I was sad to see that they really don't stock quality ukuleles. They sell a lot of standard factory models. So before I know it, I am letting the salesperson talk me into a purchase. I bought a Mitchell Concert Koa laminate with pickups. It looks gorgeous, but getting it home, I discovered all the things that I have been reading about and watching...the sound is kind of "dead" I think the pick-ups deadened the sound inside when playing acoustically. The Koa wood is laminate - not solid wood. I also now see what people mean by "buzz". The ukulele DOES stay in tune and one thing i love is the built-in tuner in the pickup control panel. However, I am taking the instrument back tomorrow. Its my first real experience with a ukulele, bu ti KNOW it doesnt sound what it should for the $289 I spent. Its just too quiet and "tinny". I heard some really nice videos on Youtube, and I think I am going to go with a ukulele that the experts at UkuleleUnderground recommend instead of a factory unit. Screen shot 2013-04-29 at 8.03.07 PM.jpg

Yes. Take it back. One of the big 3 on UU can get you a nice one in that price range with setup.

Top Bottom