High Action on my Tenor

the.ronin

Reaction score
Is it normal to have particularly high action on a tenor?

I’ve got a Kala solid lacewood tenor.

When I practice, I’ll switch off between my concert, soprano, and tenor. Not just because I like the sounds each one makes, but also because I don’t want to get too used to playing a certain type of instrument.

I just notice that when I go to the tenor, I’m having to lift my fingers way higher to hit the higher frets (5th onward).

I think I’ve read where some people shave the saddle to lower the action, but I don’t think I trust myself to do something like that lest I ruin the intonation or whatever else.

I can provide some photos if that’s helpful.

Last edited:
See this thread, there are others - search for action, adjustment. You may wanna also get an extra saddle and use it rather than the OE one (easier to return to original).

See this thread, there are others - search for action, adjustment. You may wanna also get an extra saddle and use it rather than the OE one (easier to return to original).
I think that's a great idea, plus you could try out other materials for the saddle...say, corian or Tusq. That way if you mess up the saddle, you're only out a couple of bucks and a little time! :cool:

Thank you for the link, Kanaka ... I think I’ve underestimated the importance of the saddle. Anyone have a recommendation on where I can buy quality saddles online?

Top Bottom