help choosing a new tenor ukulele

ratty

Reaction score
hello all :)

i'm after a little advice about buying a new ukulele?

at the moment i have a stagg uc70s concert. which i like, but would like something a little bigger.

i realy want to buy a tenor ukulele.

ive been looking at 2 in paticular, and would love advice, or even an alternative if you feel you know a better ukulele in this price range.

they are

fender nohea tenor
&
kamoa tenor e-t

thanks for advice etc :shaka:

I have a Koa Pili Koko tenor, and for the price the sound and playability is great, and costs the same or less! Just my 2 cents...:)

Consider:
Mainland
Pono
Kala
As reasonable alternatives. Pono is a bit pricier than the other two.​

i bought a a kala 8 string tenor and it was the best move i ever made

hello keithy351

is an 8 string ukulele tuned in the same sort of way as a 12 string guitar but around G C E A ?

yes, for the most part. dont get a koa pili koko, horrible reviews, along with pono. Fenders aren't the best IMO. Kala, mainland, lanikai, fluke, are good. ohanas are ok. hope this helps somehow

for that price you can get alot...I got a lanikai ck-teq with pickup and nice case for $300 usd. I like it...cant complain. You could probably do a little better with your budget. Everyone loves Mainland from what I hear

thanks guys does anyone know anything about the

Kahuna 'Wizard' Solid Koa Tenor Ukulele?

its £ 264.32 in england

is it any good or junk?

i will explain the reason behind my questions.

it is so difficult in the uk to find a shop that stocks ukuleles, so i'm not able to try any of them untill ive ordered & paid for it, so all your help is greatly appreciated .

With a budget like that, I'd aim for Pono. I got myself a Mango Tenor and love it soooo much ^_^

hello cornfedgroove

i have a budget of about $650 or £400 but have been looking at tenors around £300 ish i would like to buy a hard case with the rest.

For that I would go online to eBay and pickup one of the 4 K's.

650 gets you a tenor ko'olau pinnapple, a nice used Kanile'a or a decent low bling kamaka.

thanks guys does anyone know anything about the

Kahuna 'Wizard' Solid Koa Tenor Ukulele?

its £ 264.32 in england

is it any good or junk?

i will explain the reason behind my questions.

it is so difficult in the uk to find a shop that stocks ukuleles, so i'm not able to try any of them untill ive ordered & paid for it, so all your help is greatly appreciated .

Hi Ratty,

I looked at the Kahuna ukes a while ago, but could find out very little. I saw them on the Eagle Music Shop site, IIRC. They look very much like they are made in the same place(s) as many of the very similar Chinese ukes. They may be ok, but at that price I'm sceptical. If they were solid koa and any good then we'd be hearing more about them, I suspect.

In the end I decided to go for a Kala solid mahogany tenor, and I'm very glad I did.

If I had your budget I'd be heading straight towards a Kala solid acacia tenor. Here's a link to TheJumpingFlea's great review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSnWfUAtVIA

Southern Ukulele Store in UK (search eBay) and Ukulele.de in Germany both list them.

I'm holding out for a Kala Acacia Tenor with tweed hard case! Love that slotted headstock and look of the wood! From what I can tell it sounds wonderful too. Only $300 for uke, if you can get one....preorders are a long list and long wait!!

wow the Kala Acacia Tenor looks and sounds nice, and is well in budget. i think this is one for the short list. $300

thanks guys.

do you think a nice ukulele made from solid koa would be taking a large price leap?
from $300 i can go to about $650 with a hard case. but if i can get a realy nice ukulele for less, ill take it. ;):)

wow the Kanile'a K1 Tenor Ukulele is realy nice, and sounds good, are there any down points about this ukulele that you guys know of?

Last edited:
Top Bottom