Kava & Ukulele-How do they mix?

Steiner

Reaction score
I got introduced to kava while playing rugby in college and have had a few more kava experiences. I just bought some and was going to go camping with some guys and give them their first taste of kava and bring along the ukulele. Does your playing ability go down with the effects of kava? I'm sure there are a few people with tons of experience in this area on UU.

Last edited:
I've got several kava bars not far from me and they even sell it at local farmers markets here. Kava is a very mild narcotic, it's not going to make you a better or worse ukulele player, however you just may not feel like playing much. It numbs the tongue and mouth considerably so it could affect your singing. I've drunken quarts of it at a time, from raw root, to powder, to the prepared drink without much effect. I stopped when I found out how bad it is for the kidneys and liver. It's also very dehydrating. In other South Pacific cultures where it is used socially on a daily basis (mostly by men) even the young men look old and dried up. If you use it regularly it tends to make you just want to sit and not do anything. Just what we need huh?

Last edited:
There is an awesome Kava bar on Oahu right outside of Waikiki called Diamond Head Health Cove. They have Ukulele shows there all the time and server the best awa(the hawaiian word for it, pronounced ah-vah) on the island. I'm pretty sure there's a couple videos of Aldrine playing there.

Besides, what are the two things in the world that will chill anyone out? Kava and ukulele music.

There is an awesome Kava bar on Oahu right outside of Waikiki called Diamond Head Health Cove. They have Ukulele shows there all the time and server the best awa(the hawaiian word for it, pronounced ah-vah) on the island. I'm pretty sure there's a couple videos of Aldrine playing there.

Besides, what are the two things in the world that will chill anyone out? Kava and ukulele music.

yeah, a few of us have seen aldrine play there. jake came to play once too.

I used to drink 'Awa on Maui on ocassion getting it from a friend who grew it and then made the beverage for tourists to try on the snorkel tour boat he worked on. I worked at the harbor and when his boat came in he give any leftover 'Awa he had. It was good but still prefer a pint of Guiness.

I used to do it all the time. The place that I often played at on Oahu was an 'awa bar "Diamond head cove"

They had some of the best and most potent stuff that I ever had. Really top notch. Jake S. is a big fan of them as well. We'd do gigs there while drinking 'awa. I didn't think it lowered my ability to play while on it though. To be honest, I play a little better while on 'awa. It mellows me out and keeps me relaxed enough to play smoothly.

I say try it. 'Awa is meant to be a social drink. So a campfire with ukuleles are perfect for them.

I got a bag of that stuff, in powder form. I haven't played my uke while drinking it, might have to try it soon. Like Mr. Moore said, it does make me feel like doing nothing though, so I save it for those times when I just want to relax and do nothing.

I like a glass of wine when I'm playing, sometimes even a shot of 100% agave tequila, so I'm not casting stones at anyone else's drug. But drugs don't make you a better player. Only practice does that. In fact, they tend to impair your perception of how good or bad you really are (just go to any karaoake bar for living proof!).​

I'm headed out this weekend for my Kava('awa) induced campout/jam session. I'll let you all know if we ever actually get around to playing.

Top Bottom