low G string lasting only a week!!

northbendbob

Reaction score
anybody got this problem? I have a pono ebony deluxe tenor that has gone through 2 low G strings - in less than 2 weeks - both sets were ko'olau golds low G.... the winding is coming undone at the 2nd fret - that's the one that get's the most use I guess... I now have aquilla's on there that are 2 days old... any thoughts? I was told to change my playing style and dont press down so hard, but that is tough !!! ( I ordered a half dozen low G's to use wile I'm learning this ) any thoughts? mahalo!!:shaka:

That's pretty much a common complaint on wound low G strings. You might look into a nylon low G. I believe Worth is the only one that has an unwound low g and I'm not sure if singles are available.

I am sure I will pay for this after saying but I've never broken any string... So all my string changes have been voluntary. Both my Ukes are Low G wound strings....

"I have a D'addario J4804 on my main uke. " hey deach... what's on the other 3 strings? do U use the other strings from the set on your uke? thanks deach!!

I have played with wound low G for years with not a single one unwinding. I have used the D'addario silver wound "D" string. I have one on my Fluke that is all brown in color which I've played for over 4 years. It's my beach uke so it doesn't bother me, but point is, the wound strings should last. These are guitar strings and if they are unwinding, chances are you got a sharp fret or nut, or the string is being damaged when stringing up.

"I have a D'addario J4804 on my main uke. " hey deach... what's on the other 3 strings? do U use the other strings from the set on your uke? thanks deach!!

D'addario T4603, 4602,4601

or

Savarez 541R, 542R, 543R

Could you have an overly sharp or nicked fretwire at that point?

I use low G Aquilas. You can see wear on the winding wire after a few weeks, but only once and after hundreds of hours of playing have I actually worn through the wire.

How long have you had this uke? If its a new uke, check to see that the edge of the 2nd fret is not sharp. All it would take is a little nick in the wound string and it would give way.

thanks for all the great feedback everybody .... I'm gonna look at he frets real good with a 30X illuminated handheld microscope that will show any irregularities.... and some worths and d'addarios will be coming soon!!! thanks again!!:shaka: Bob

I had the same problem on my Pono Tenor with Ko`olau Golds on it. I switched to Aquilas and did not have the problem, but I did not like the way they sounded. I tried some D'Addarios and did not care for that sound either. I bought a NEW set of Ko`olau Golds and the problem has not re-surfaced. I think perhaps the strings that came on my ukulele were just old BEFORE I bought it. The new ones sound great and show no signs of wear. I am going to look into the fret dressing issue though, that does sound like the culprit to me. As a guitar player, I think I have been fretting much harder than I needed to in the past and I am getting better, which eqauls less wear I am sure.

That's pretty much a common complaint on wound low G strings. You might look into a nylon low G. I believe Worth is the only one that has an unwound low g and I'm not sure if singles are available.

I just got a Fremont Black Line low G that is unwound, but I haven't tried it yet.

magritte

I bought two D'Addario pro arte classical guitar D strings at Guitar center a month or so ago and put half of one on my Fender Nohea and have had no problems. My Aquila wound low G lasted less than three months!

Top Bottom