Mainland Decision Time

RevWill

Reaction score
Tomorrow is my birthday, which means I will be placing an order for a Tenor uke with Mike in the next few days.

The mangos aren't in, and from what I keep reading I would adore the looks of one but miss the brightness of other tonewoods. I like bright, so mango is out.

So the question is: do I want mahogany or cedar? The Mainland line is built to old Martin specs so Mahog would seem a likely choice, and I'm leaning that way. But I might like Cedar too. The idea is to complement my tenor Fluke, soprano Flea, and Harmony bari.

Give me some thoughts, and by all means post pics (especially of cedar. I've seen some good hi-res shots of mahogany.)

Thanks.

Coffee_Talk_Linda_Richman.jpg

Discuss!

I have never played other Mainlands than the Concert Mahigany I own, but I can tell you that I absoluley recomend it! it is just brilliant! :)
Love the sound, and it just feels so great to play it :)

I was just at Mainland earlier today - bought my first uke!

I went with the classic mahogany concert with the gloss finish and gold tuning pegs.

I'm thrilled to death, wet-my-pants excited to finally have my own uke, and it's a real treat to have one that sounds so bright and warm. I think it looks great, too.

Okay, so now I gotta go strum some.

Do it. (Where's Henry Rollins when I need him?)

My gloss mahogany soprano is top-drawer. It plays very well, the intonation is spot on, it sounds great, is a pleasure to look at and scores very high on the bang-for-the-buck scale.

Mine has one minor issue with the neck that doesn't affect playability or tone. Mike and Tookta are taking care of it for me and have been great about it.

I have a full review in the works that I hope to get finished and posted in the next week or so.

--Mark

I had the same dilemma, but in the end went for the Mainland Mahogany Tenor. I would recommend it to anyone. And the service is top draw.

mainland

the cedar has a definite pop and brightness that the mahogany doesn't have. i have tried both styles in a shop and would opt for the cedar if i had to do it again.

i have a mainland cedar concert and it is very nice for an uke under $300.

The Mainland line is built to old Martin specs

Really! I've played a couple of old Martin tenors lately and have really liked them. The necks seemed a bit smaller and narrower then other tenors that I've tried. If that's the case I may need to look into a Mainland also.

I have a cedar Mainland... it's a soprano, & the loudest & brightest uke I own. I play it with my tenor fluke frequently, as you said you were lookin to do, and I think it compliments nicely. I play a back track with the fluke & my other half solos on the mainland- sounds fantastic together.

Happy Birthday, Rev!:smileybounce:

Get both...problem solved! :D In my opinion, I like the mahogany in the larger instruments...but I definitely want the cedar soprano.

I personally prefer the Mahogany to the cedar....but what the hell do i know. Im not all good and stuff like Adelle and Deg. :D

I LOVE my cedar pineapple. :love:

I played a bunch a Mainlands when I visted their shop, I think you would be happy with any of them, but if you want bright, then the cedar is the way to go.

I'm glad I don't live close to the Mainland shop, it would put a serious dent in my finances, I would buy them all.:eek:

Thanks for all the advice and feedback. I'm one happy camper this morning. WhenDogsSing is selling me his minty fresh Mainland Cedar tenor with case at a very, very reasonable price. While I had hoped to do business with hoosierhiver directly and love supporting local independent businesses (he's in Indiana, I'm in Illinois so we're semi-neighbors) I just couldn't pass up the offer.

From everything I've read here I expect to be very, very happy with the Mainland and will be an official member of the Mainland Owner's Group within days. (I joined the group a while back, knowing that I was going to buy a Mainland, but now I won't be a freeloader!)

Now to start saving nickels and dimes so Mike can slap a Mi-Si in there for me.....

Top Bottom