Time for a real uke.

Bigylittle

Reaction score
K so I'm done playing with my cheap $30 soprano. I'm looking for a concert, I've played a Tenor and I think it's to big o.o any suggestions? I'm kinda poor right now, at a $100-$150 range xP If more money is needed time and saving will fix that. I actually saw this on Musicguymic's store and I wanted to get that in the first place but I didn't have the money at the time and I guess he's out of stock for now.

Another question is that is it good to buy a pick up if you are just gonna play it acoustically most of the time?

Mahogony construction does not mean "solid". Lots of time that means laminate. I see you live in Carson. I live in Huntington Beach. There is a store here called "Island Bazaar". Go to the store and talk with Shirley, tell her Sally sent you. She is a good honest person and will not rip you off. She will let you play them b4 you buy and will give you good advice.
Directions to her store, take the 405 south, get off on Goldenwest, go south (or towards the beach) to Heil, turn left, turn right at Gothard. Her store is about an 8th of a mile down on the left.

Island Bazaar
16582 Gothard Street, suite R
Huntington Beach, CA 92647
(714)843-9350

I don`t wanna to scary you but 30$ and 100$ is the same, try to look on 200+ ukes if you wanna better sound then you have..

MGM has those in stock 90% of the time, it seems like. If you're looking in the 100 dollar range, I think it's a nice instrument. I have the Soprano version and it's got really pretty sound, and is even louder than my Mitchell Concert. I'm pretty sure it *is* laminate, but that doesn't bother me too much, as I'm not going to have the money for a solid-wood instrument for some time.

That said, I agree with the previous poster that if you can try it out first, you might as well. I wish I had that luxury, but the nearest ukulele shop is about two hours away, and my car's almost fifteen years old-- I just can't justify the trip right now.

Also, watch it-- if you go calling a $100 uke a "real ukulele," you may have the wrath of the ukulele snobs coming down on you.
Not that they're wrong, a five hundred or thousand dollar instrument *will be* better, but as far as I'm concerned, the cheaper ones have their place, especially for those of us who barely paid more than a thousand bucks for our cars.

The Kala's not a hand-made solid koa work of art, but you'll probably find it more fun and prettier than your current uke. I say go for it.

I just picked up a Fluke ukulele (fleamarketmusic.com) on ebay for $150 with shipping. It's concert size. The Flea in concert size is also a good one, it has a brighter sound than that Fluke. They're not the best looking, but they're durrable, stand up on they're own, and have excelent sound. I'd say on a low budget this would be your best choice.

I disagree with Esy. I think there's a huge difference between a $30 Mahalo and a $100 dollar Lanikai/Kala.

I've heard good things about Flukes, but they may be a little out of your price range.

I haven't had any experience with the Kala model you're looking at, but if it's anything like the similar model that Lanikai offers (and I suspect it is), then I say go for it.

The Lanikai model was my first ukulele and I loved it. I barely play it at all now, but for a good 6 months I took it with me everywhere I went.

The intonation is a little off on mine, especially when you travel up the neck, but if you stay down by the headstock, you should be fine.

As for a pickup, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you're not going to play out. Acoustic is fine.

Mahogony construction does not mean "solid". Lots of time that means laminate. I see you live in Carson. I live in Huntington Beach. There is a store here called "Island Bazaar". Go to the store and talk with Shirley, tell her Sally sent you. She is a good honest person and will not rip you off. She will let you play them b4 you buy and will give you good advice.
Directions to her store, take the 405 south, get off on Goldenwest, go south (or towards the beach) to Heil, turn left, turn right at Gothard. Her store is about an 8th of a mile down on the left.

Island Bazaar
16582 Gothard Street, suite R
Huntington Beach, CA 92647
(714)843-9350

Hmmm, sounds good I'll definetly keep that in mind, thanks. As for my price range well yeah I got some more money just today so I have about 200-250 right now :D That help much?

Also, watch it-- if you go calling a $100 uke a "real ukulele," you may have the wrath of the ukulele snobs coming down on you.
Not that they're wrong, a five hundred or thousand dollar instrument *will be* better, but as far as I'm concerned, the cheaper ones have their place, especially for those of us who barely paid more than a thousand bucks for our cars.

The Kala's not a hand-made solid koa work of art, but you'll probably find it more fun and prettier than your current uke. I say go for it.

Well by real I really meant better, I knew for a fact that $100 uke isn't much.

BTW @ Deach, I have taken your contest into consideration but just not entirely sure, definetly thinking about it haha.

I'd spend a little more to get the Kala with the solid spruce top. I've seen them around for less than $150. Unless you're performing or recording, I'd pass on the pickup. You can always mic your uke anyways ;)

I disagree with Esy. I think there's a huge difference between a $30 Mahalo and a $100 dollar Lanikai/Kala.

I've heard good things about Flukes, but they may be a little out of your price range.

I haven't had any experience with the Kala model you're looking at, but if it's anything like the similar model that Lanikai offers (and I suspect it is), then I say go for it.

The Lanikai model was my first ukulele and I loved it. I barely play it at all now, but for a good 6 months I took it with me everywhere I went.

The intonation is a little off on mine, especially when you travel up the neck, but if you stay down by the headstock, you should be fine.

As for a pickup, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you're not going to play out. Acoustic is fine.

30dollar ukulele to a 100dollar ukulele is a difference for sure :)

you could make any uke sound nice - but there is a difference between 30$ and 100$ - apart from the price :D

Though it's a bit more expensive.... I'm a strong supporter of the Mitchell brand ukuleles that are carried in most guitar centers.... the MU-100 is a rather nice Koa Laminate.... it's the main uke I've been playing on for quite a while.

The thing is built wonderfully and sounds great for its price.

Top Bottom