Saddle Grooves

pebbleInDaPacific

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I want to know if anyone else has experienced this at one point or another and if it is a problem or not. I've tried searching, but can't find any clear answers.

My Kamaka concert is about three months old and I have it strung with a low G, Worth Brown Med strings. Well, I was playing it today and noticed that when I pluck it, it makes a little clicking sound. I then noticed that on the G string, there is a little groove on the saddle now, where the string sits. Is this normal?

I have a feeling that it is because of the string tension, but I didn't expect it to develop the clicking it now produces as I bend the string or pluck it and it slides out of the little groove. What should I do? Does this go away or do I have to do some sanding? I hope this is not a serious problem and is a simple fix. Any help or info would be great as it is a first for me, my other two ukes never had this problem. Thanks in advance!

what kind of strings were on it before. Are there grooves for the rest of the strings?

I'd post this on the luthier forum, but its probably a very simple fix, but I'll hold my thoughts on repair and leave it to the more experienced fellows

Usually only nuts have grooves, not saddles. I've had this happen on steel string guitars in the past. You can probably remove the strings and buff the notch out with some very fine sandpaper. Be careful though, because as you remove material you're lowering the action. Not much, but you are.

Thanks for the responses guys. I checked last night, and my other Kamaka do have grooves too. I suspected that this is a common occurrence as the pressure of the strings and constant playing would cause it. I just didn't expect the clicking when I bend the string and it slides out of the groove. Don't know if that will pass with more playing.

I changed the strings a few weeks after I bought it new in May. Originally, there were Kamaka strings on them. I was just surprised that they developed so quickly and with flourocarbon strings.

I'd just put a new TUSQ saddle in, easier to work with, less chance of strings grooving it, better sound. Just IMHO. :)

If you can hear the strings clicking on the saddle, you're not playing it loud enough. ;)

Last edited:
I thought "saddle grooves" is what you get on your butt when you've been riding on a horse too long. :confused::rolleyes:;)

I think the saddle made of bone. Not sure, it's whatever Kamaka uses. Anyone have a definitive answer for this?

Top Bottom