Identification help with CF Martin Uke

tsf999

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently picked up a ukulele at a yard sale (for 50 cents) and I'm trying to identify it. It’s labeled “C.F. Martin & Co. Nazareth, PA” on the back and inside. It’s measurements match the CF Martin Soprano Uke specs, but I’m not sure if it is really a Martin, and when it was made. It’s rather plain looking. I’d really appreciate any assistance you could give me. I’m going to enclose some pics.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6263.jpg
    IMG_6263.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_6265.jpg
    IMG_6265.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_6267.jpg
    IMG_6267.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6268.jpg
    IMG_6268.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 102
Wish I could find something like that here in San Diego in someone's backyard.

There are others here who have far more knowledge then I do about this uke but it looks like a real Martin, and vintage. An earlier model "O", which some people consider the best sounding of the line. Some disagree on that point. Made of solid Mahogany. A very desirable players uke. Quailty is great, very light, and these tend to play loud for a soprano.

50 cents is unreal.....I would get some good quality tuners, string it up, and play the heck out of it! What a find.

Enjoy it!
Ryan

$50 is a steal, even $500 would be fair. Congrats on a great find.

From the picture that shows the "CF Martin & Co." stamp and the friction tuner tip...I assume that is the back of the headstock. The stamp on the back of the headstock dates this instrument pre 1935. Martin placed their stamp on the back of their headstocks through 1935. They then switched to decals on the front of the headstock.

Yah. When I saw the stamp, I knew it was an old one. Congratulations!! The Style 0s from the 1960's and 1970's can go for 500 bucks. This one, much older and in good shape, can go for much more.

.50! :eek:

congrats!

enjoy that thing man!

Top Bottom