Anyone have opinions on Honu tenor ukuleles?

Uketopia

Reaction score
Hello everybody.

First off, I am new to this site (and message boards in general actually, so bear with me if there are formatting errors or I commit the inadvertent message board faux pas while I get my feet wet) and I have to say how cool it is to have such a wealth of information all in one place. Thanks to everyone who puts in the time to teach and share about all things ukulele. It has helped me tremendously in two short months.

That being said, I feel like I have stepped into a whole new world and am utterly confused and overwhelmed. I picked up a cheapie concert uke, a Makala, while in Maui just to see if I would like it. Needless to say, I never realized how much fun it is to play and can't put it down. An added bonus is that an ukulele is quiet enough I can even play when my two year old daughter goes to bed and not wake her up, which can't be said about my guitar.

So, here I am, apparently coming down with UAS and I have been scouring the internet for hours on end to find the perfect uke. Eventually, I want one in every size (except baritone, actually), and a sopranino for my little future uke master. But I want to start with a good tenor size. Basically, I am a decent guitarist and already am feeling comfortable on the ukulele. I want a solid wood instrument that I will be able to cherish for years to come and not be wanting something else in 6 months, but I also can't dish out the $900-$1000 for a great ukulele. I saw the Big Island Honu ukuleles on MGM's store, but cannot find many reviews about them. Does anyone have one or know either good or bad things about them? Does that sound like a good place to start with a budget of around $500? I'm open to other options, too, but I like the idea of a bright, traditional sounding ukulele that is not going to sound like a little guitar.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

I've heard many great things about the Honu. Great instrument actually.
George who is one of the members here has a video of him playing crosscurrent. Check it out here
I havent heard any bad things about them. Considering that you mentioned that your opened to other options and suggestions - Heres my take. If i were you - I'd fork out a couple extra hundred and get a Kanilea.
Only reason why I'd suggest it is because I'd rather pay a little extra for the higher end class ukes. Cannot go wrong with them. Ken has done a review on these. Check it out here

But if you were to go get the Honu, im sure you will be extremely happy with that purchase. I know i would. Hope you find the right one!

I have played a Honu tenor that ukerepublic (www.ukerepublic.com) had before he sold it (he's a member here and dealer). It was a pretty uke and sounded nice but a little quiet. In the price range you mention there are some good imports. My favorite is Mele ukulele then Honu then Pono. I have played all three and the Mele is the best sounding and best value in my opinion. If you know that you are eventually going to upgrade then wait otherwise get one you will be happy with one for awhile. I have played my Meles for two years before I finally got a KoAloha. Good Luck and welcome to UU.

Thanks for the ideas. That Kanilea looks and sounds beautiful, but I just can't spend that much money now. If it was just me, I could do the tuna and mac and cheese for a while, but I'm afraid my wife and kid would up and leave if I tried to go all spartan existence on them over an uke. They already have to ask me to put it away quite regularly, haha. Now I have something to long for, though. That can be my motivation to get good enough to justify a top of the line ukulele.

I'll check out those Meles. I just wish I had a good shop to go to so I could play them first, since with guitars it can be such a personal thing. Oh well, thanks for the tips. I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever, but I know I don't want to play this Makala for too long while I wait for a Kanilea or Kamaka or something, even though it has been a good introduction.

for those with hankering for a better uke in Koa but not the high price did i say Cough Cough solid Koa Koalana.....hmmmm maybe thats just my cough lol maybe im just wishful thinker....

Cool. Keep me posted, Bongofury, I can't wait to hear what you think. Nice tunes on your link, by the way. Will you be putting something up with your new Honu when you get it? I'd love to hear it. Or maybe I can buy you a beer and check it out in person :) I'm kind of torn between the concert and the tenor, but think I'm leaning toward the tenor just to have a bit of variety.

MGM, that sounds like a pretty good endorsement. Are you expecting to get any tenors without pickups anytime soon?

Welcome fellow Portlander! I just ordered a Honu Concert size from MGM so I'll let you know what I think of it if you are still interested. They seem to be a great deal.

I purchased a concert rope series Honu from MGM earlier this year, and I love it. It sounds great (not quiet, but not overly loud either) and looks great. And, of course, you can't beat the MGM setup and service!

I've just exchanged my previous uke for a Honu traditional concert today, and I have to say, I can't be more pleased with a ukulele. First, the shallow stuff - it looks fabulous - the gloss finish is perfect, and even the inside of the uke I can't see any extra glue bits or anything imperfections, the turtle at the headstock is so cute and adorable, and the koa wood grains on mine are very much to my liking. I'm actually surprised at how 'perfect' the finish and the whole uke is. The knobs are also koa (which didn't matter to me, but it might to you), and matches the color of the uke as well. The uke was also lighter than I expected it to be.

Then, the sound. It's a really beautiful and pleasant tone with a great volume, and the sustain is quite long as well. There's such a hearty sound to it that I really like. And I can't wait to see how the wood would sound in a week, or a month, or a year.

So far, I think this Honu in terms of workmanship and sound far exceeds its price.

I second everything Cocohonk has to say. I recently bought a Honu concert used from another BB and it is the first one I reach for every day. It rivals the the high end ukes in every way. A lovely lovely instrument.

Thanks for all the great replies. I'm sold. Now I can relax and stop frantically looking around for the perfect ukulele since it seems I have stumbled upon a nice one. Just gonna wait for a plain tenor, I think, and then enjoy. I'll let you know how it is when I get it, but it sounds like it should be all roses.

Congrats, bongofury on your vid of the week.

Thanks for all the great replies. I'm sold. Now I can relax and stop frantically looking around for the perfect ukulele since it seems I have stumbled upon a nice one. Just gonna wait for a plain tenor, I think, and then enjoy. I'll let you know how it is when I get it, but it sounds like it should be all roses.

Congrats, bongofury on your vid of the week.

Thanks! We'll have to jam and see if 2 Honu ukes played together can stop the rainy season from entering Portland this fall. :shaka:

Top Bottom