I am the proud new owner of a Kamaka HF-36!

rickyricky

Reaction score
There is nothing like a shiny new instrument, especially when it's a Kamaka HF-36!

This is my 3rd Uke, and is a significant upgrade from what I've been strumming on before... A Lanakai CK-T and "da Tiki-Fluke".

Things I like... How it sounds! Even with my newbie fingers, it sounds like a chorus of ukulele's is playing whenever I take one strum... Intonation is perfect! It's made of solid Koa wood with a mahogany Neck...

Things I don't like: String tension! Having 6 strings means more finger strength is needed. Having 6 strings that are much tighter than I'm used to (I play worth strings lately) means that this instrument, for now, is not as fun to play for long periods of time until I either develop significantly more finger strength, or maybe change out the strings to a set of Worth strings, if I can find 'em for this ukulele...

To make matters worse, I asked for a 2nd set of strings when I ordered this bad boy, and they sent me aquila strings... hah! I bet those would be even tighter... I may try them before I try the worth though.. Just to do it..

All in all, I am happy with my purchase and I know this is an Ukulele that I can steadily grow into instead of one I'm going to grow out of.. =)

Last edited:
Enjoy your new ukulele!

I just purchased a KoAloha 6-string. I too am finding somewhat of a difference going from 4 string. It definately requires more strengh pressing the chords. I love the sound of the 6-string. As I am mostly a "strummer" this KoAloha really great for playing traditional hawaiian songs, which are my favorites..............

i´ve recently (yesterday) get a kamaka HF-1.
i must play it more because my other uke it's a lanikai s-c.

My first impression is that it´s sounds louder than my lanikai. While i play it more i´ll tell you more impressions

:shaka:

awesome man, but I can't believe you dont have more positive to say considering ur other uke

Wow, and here I thought my thread was getting no responses.. =)

I'll post some pics tomorrow when I have a bit of time to set up the strobes! If I take pics, I do it right durn it! ;-)

Here's a little video I put together over the weekend...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaH4PYUu1v0

I love this thing! If you pick it right, it sounds wonderful! I'm actually considering restringing the G to a low-g as I really like how that sounds on my 4 string, but I'm worried it'll be too much low bass on the kamaka.. Well, it's only a single string.. heheh =)

Thanks for the info on the worth! I'll see if these strings break in nice, and if not, I'll be swapping 'em out soon!

Looks beautiful rickyricky...:D

Hey from that last photo, is that the input jack of a pickup? I'm sorry if you mentioned it before and I just didn't notice, but if the ukulele has a pickup, is it active or passive? I am guessing it was factory installed?

I ask because in December I'm taking my Kamaka to the factory to get a pickup installed and I'm debating between the active and passive ones...

Top Bottom