UAS strikes again - Aloha ukuleles

Tsani

Reaction score
I got bit by UAS again. I took a gamble on an unknown brand, probably from the '30s or '40s. It is an "Aloha", and I know there were a lot of different makers that used that name at different times. I don't know who made this one. The brand has crown over the Aloha name on a gold label. The headstock is fake MOP plastic, but I think it is a decorative laminate over wood.

There are photos in my albums in the member area.

If you know anything about this uke, please let me know.

I am waiting for it to come in the mail. It has not arrived yet.

That's kind of pretty, and looks to be in great shape for the age! I've never seen one like that...but I would like to hear it played..( I assume you are going to restore it enough to play it?) Something about that crown looks familiar, but I can't quite place the logo. Let me do some digging for info!:p

Ernest Kaai

Ernest Kaai is one of the founding fathers of the Hawaiian ukulele, along with such giants as Jonah Kumalae, Manuel Nunes, and Sam Kamaka. Ernest Kaai owned a company which was originally called Kaai Ukulele Manufacturing Company, but changed its name in 1917 to Aloha. I am hoping that my Aloha is an Ernest Kaai product, but I will not know until I get my hands on it and do some research.

There is a bunch of information about Ernest Kaai on the Ukulele Hall of Fame website. He was one of the first inductees.

http://www.ukulele.org/?Inductees:1997-1998:Ernest_Kaai

Mystery Uke

Well, I have it now, and I am very pleased with it. It has a good sound. It is loud. The action is very low - but no buzz. Overall the condition is excellent, except for some cracks in the sound board which I intend to glue and cleat.

The brand is still a mystery. The label is gold foil on the head stock and in the sound hole. It has a crown on it and the name "Aloha". It also says, "Pacific Manufacturing and Sales Co.". I have been searching the internet and I cannot find any references to this company.

I am guessing that it dates to the late 20's or 30's because of the use of the fake mother of pearl laminate. That's when that stuff was popular. It also just looks old. The gold label in the sound hole is peeling at the corner. It has a patina.

In other words it's dirty. :smileybounce:

If anybody knows anything about this brand I would be very grateful for the information.

ooooh, TSANI = CHA-NEE. OOOH :p And I said "t-sani" pbbbssh. you should have hit me. lol

cool uke. How could you not pick up UAS after saturday. I want a kiwaya, a kamaka, a martin, and a mainland now. But I don't have the funding... I wonder how much street musicians make. It's tax free. :smileybounce:

:biglaugh:

That's OK, Mike. My real name is not much easier to pronounce either. I'm just trying to keep you all a little off balance.

"Tsani" is Cherokee for John or Johnny. I am Cherokee through my mother.

ooooh, TSANI = CHA-NEE. OOOH :p And I said "t-sani" pbbbssh. you should have hit me. lol

cool uke. How could you not pick up UAS after saturday. I want a kiwaya, a kamaka, a martin, and a mainland now. But I don't have the funding... I wonder how much street musicians make. It's tax free. :smileybounce:

Someone had a Kiwaya there?

Top Bottom