Songs to match your uke?

CountryMouse

Reaction score
This is a frivolous thread. I admit it. I just got my Mahalo ukulele on Tuesday. It's a pretty pale blue with tropical fruit all over the front of it. It makes you happy just to look at it. :)

So what do I do today? I go through my Joan Baez Songbook (because I now know three chords, baybee!), and picked some of the most depressing songs evah to do on it. :p

I can now do, more or less, "The Banks of the Ohio" (a typical "murdered-girl" ballad) and "Lady Mary", another really sad song with a death at the end.

Maybe I should have a black ukulele?

CountryMouse

Can you really play a Sad song on the uke, ... and be taken seriously?

If you can, I'm sure everyone will be waiting for the next one to brighten their spirits!

Even the minor keys sound "happier" on a uke!

Can you really play a Sad song on the uke, ... and be taken seriously?

If you can, I'm sure everyone will be waiting for the next one to brighten their spirits!

Even the minor keys sound "happier" on a uke!

I think I could look convincingly sad and heartbroken...but my ukulele is just too cute and would ruin the entire impression of gloom and doom.

I mean "She cried 'Oh Willie, don't murder me! I'm not prepared for eternity'" paired with pretty tropical fruit?! heh

CMouse

heh as far as matching songs to your uke, i thought you meant the sound! My mitchell is fairly quite so a lot of my stuff is geared to be quiter. Can't say my ukulele has much character in its appearance though. If you want to play the most ridiculous sad song on ukulele I'd recommend "Man of Constant Sorrow" the blue grass effect on uke completely overrides the sad lyrics and you can't help but think. "I don't believe he's seen any sorrow his whole life!"

This is a frivolous thread. I admit it. I just got my Mahalo ukulele on Tuesday. It's a pretty pale blue with tropical fruit all over the front of it. It makes you happy just to look at it. :)

So what do I do today? I go through my Joan Baez Songbook (because I now know three chords, baybee!), and picked some of the most depressing songs evah to do on it. :p

I can now do, more or less, "The Banks of the Ohio" (a typical "murdered-girl" ballad) and "Lady Mary", another really sad song with a death at the end.

Maybe I should have a black ukulele?

CountryMouse

I love that song!(The banks of the Ohio)But, I haven't heard it since I was knee high to a grasshopper...must be a Ohio/PA thing...you think?:rolleyes:

heh as far as matching songs to your uke, i thought you meant the sound! My mitchell is fairly quite so a lot of my stuff is geared to be quiter. Can't say my ukulele has much character in its appearance though. If you want to play the most ridiculous sad song on ukulele I'd recommend "Man of Constant Sorrow" the blue grass effect on uke completely overrides the sad lyrics and you can't help but think. "I don't believe he's seen any sorrow his whole life!"

I doubt I could do it in a bluegrass style. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard it done bluegrass style. I know it as "Maid of Constant Sorrow", as done by Joan Baez. However I haven't learned any minor chords yet, so that's why I didn't even think of it today. :p

CMouse

I love that song!(The banks of the Ohio)But, I haven't heard it since I was knee high to a grasshopper...must be a Ohio/PA thing...you think?:rolleyes:

Not sure! It too is in my Joan Baez Songbook, and she sure isn't from Ohio. :p

I heard a crazy parody of "Banks of the Ohio" (about lending institutions) once, but I don't remember it at all.

Oh, now there's a very fast funny version of "Banks of the Ohio" by Dave Guard and the Whiskeyhill Singers that's a hoot. I don't think I could pull off a Judy Henske voice, though. :-D

CMouse

Oh, this gives me an idea…

There are too many contests right now… and I am not in a position to produce a compelling enough prize at the moment.

But a "Make Me Cry with Your Ukulele" contest would be marvelous! It can be done! It must be possible!

Maybe next year. Or in January when everyone is cold and miserable.

Oh, this gives me an idea…

There are too many contests right now… and I am not in a position to produce a compelling enough prize at the moment.

But a "Make Me Cry with Your Ukulele" contest would be marvelous! It can be done! It must be possible!

Maybe next year. Or in January when everyone is cold and miserable.

Ooooo. I hope I would be good enough by then! Maybe I should be thinking of getting another uke (oh, what a trial, to get another uke! heh), one that is not so happy-looking. :p I actually wanted to get a Kala Kiwi next, which certainly wouldn't help towards depressing songs. :-D

CountryMouse

Top Bottom