Do you need lightbulbs in a bending jig?

Island_Uke

Reaction score
I wanna build an ukulele but I don't wanna use the bending iron, so I'm gonna use the heat blanket. Out of all the bending jigs I see there are light bulbs in it. I don't wanna get to technical. So do you need lightbulbs inside the jig? If so can I get steps on making it? Also should I make the jig before I get the mold?

Last edited:
If you have a heat blanket you should do fine without lightbulbs. Lightbulbs would heat the mold and the wood, heat blanket does the same (but with more "focus" on the wood). I had a blanket made to my specs to fit my soprano mold, the guitar sized one I bought from LMII works well on my tenors with a one piece rim.

I've tried loads of different approaches towards bending, got advice from Pete H that I did my best to follow. But different woods and different pieces require strategies of their own. Some pieces I soak for 10 minutes, then wrap in alu foil before bending. The foil then keeps the water and steam in the wood longer, making bending easier.

Good luck! / Sven

no you dont need lightbulbs the blanket will work fine. as i understand it

If you have a heat blanket you should do fine without lightbulbs. Lightbulbs would heat the mold and the wood, heat blanket does the same (but with more "focus" on the wood). I had a blanket made to my specs to fit my soprano mold, the guitar sized one I bought from LMII works well on my tenors with a one piece rim.

I've tried loads of different approaches towards bending, got advice from Pete H that I did my best to follow. But different woods and different pieces require strategies of their own. Some pieces I soak for 10 minutes, then wrap in alu foil before bending. The foil then keeps the water and steam in the wood longer, making bending easier.

Good luck! / Sven

when you say soak for 10 min do you mean like completely submerged in water ?

I know you said you don't want to use a bending iron but if you are a beginner I still think you are better off using a pipe and propane torch. It'll cost you all of $10. You will benefit by understanding the mechanics of bending wood and get a feel for what you are doing and this will help you toward that end. I've bent close to a thousand sides using a heat blankets but I use the hot pipe almost daily for odd jobs including tweaking and for bending unique shapes.
Also be wary of some of the bending advice you get. A good place to start is by doing an Internet search on one of the luthier dedicated forums such as the MIMF forum (Musical Instrument Makers Forum). You'll find there is no one correct way to bend but there are many ways depending upon your situation. For instance if I soaked my curly koa in water and attempted to bend it I'd wind up with a handful of potato chips. Oily woods on the other hand seem to benefit by soaking with perhaps a bit of glycerin added to the water. You need to experiment and find your way with it.
Not the final word, just my opinion.

Last edited:
I would like to add my voice to Chuck's. Bending jigs and molds make a great deal of sense if you are doing production work. If you are making one off instruments for yourself, bend by hand. You will learn so much more about he process.

Brad

Is it possible to place a 200w bulb in a iron pipe to bend wood?

If you have one that fits inside I do not see why not. I would assume that you would need a light socket + wire rated for a high heat situation or/and shielding?

Also be wary of some of the bending advice you get.
This is the truth. I should have emphasized that I'm a beginner, and that I haven't tried that many different woods.

But anyway, to answer the Q about submerging. I bent cherry sides after having them in water for ten minutes. It worked well. If you like, check it out at http://argapa.blogspot.com/2009/08/cherry-sides-bent.html

You can also find more of my adventures on the blog.

I agree that bending on pipe gives you a better understanding of the wood. I have an electric bending iron from stewmac or lmii or somewhere that I bought second hand.

Sven

My advice to you is; learn to build first. Then build a few before you even consider selling. I've built a few for friends (who payed good money) and I'm still nervous. Will they come apart, will the necks warp, will the wood crack. I'm nowhere near ebay. And my kids would starve if I tried this as my main income.

No offense. You just seemed like an eager bloke who wanted to have a go at building an instrument. But then again, I have no idea what the first ukes from a novice builder would sell for on ebay. I'm sure you have checked that?

I wish you the best of luck.

Sven

Well I mean later on when I get better at it.

And that is how it starts.

Building ukes is only half of what you need to learn. The other half is learning to run a business.

I hope you succeed. Good Luck

The've started to phase out standard light bulbs in the UK in favour of the low energy types..100 watt bulbs and frosted bulbs are to be withdrawn from sale in the shops tomorrow 1st Sept :eek:

Top Bottom