looking for a 3/4ths

Hobgoblin Steve

Reaction score
So ive been thinking a nice thing to have around the house is a 3/4ths nylon stringer. I dont play guitar, however would toy around with it. Im not looking to spend alot, but I would like for it to sound nice.
Im guessing a good estimate is somewhere around 100$.

suggestions?

edit: Id like for it to be a small sized easy from uke to guitar size. so probably a junior would be ok I guess (thoughts?)

Last edited:
Yamaha makes a good 3/4 size that you can find for $100. And Amigo has one for a bit less than 100, its actually a nice little guitar but only 12 frets to the body. If you can find a used Baby Taylor, that'd be the best way to go... or maybe even a used Martin Backpacker. Check Elderly.com

Spend a little more and get the Yamaha CS40. It's really 3/4 sized (not 7/8 as advertised). It's just a few mm longer in scale than the the CGS103A.

CGS102A is 1/2 sized.

The Yamaha Guitalele is 1/4 sized.

So ive been thinking a nice thing to have around the house is a 3/4ths nylon stringer. I dont play guitar, however would toy around with it. Im not looking to spend alot, but I would like for it to sound nice.
Im guessing a good estimate is somewhere around 100$.

suggestions?

edit: Id like for it to be a small sized easy from uke to guitar size. so probably a junior would be ok I guess (thoughts?)

unless you guys think it wouldnt really be that much of a problem to learn standard

A 3/4 size is still bigger than a baritone ukulele. The fretboard is the same width as a full sized guitar. But the body of a full sized guitar is bigger so you'll get a bigger sound. For that reason, I'd get a full size. However, guitars are grotesquely gigantic and huge! Hard to carry on a bus. For that reason, I'd get the 3/4.

I play my 3/4 size more often than my regular sized one (actually, I NEVER play my regular sized one). Another factor is the price. If you look, you can find some very nice 3/4 sizes at a price unheard of for larger models. Case-in-point, Baby Talyor. Where are you gonna find a new solid-wood Taylor guitar for $300? Baby Taylor!! Used for $100 is not unheard of. But they get bought up pretty quick.

So I say, go for the 3/4! Yamaha or even Seagull might be a good place to start looking. :cheers:

Steve, go with a full size Dreadnought in that price range. You'll get a more full bodied tone with more volume. The strings on a guitar are closer together, than on a ukulele. A larger guitar will be easier to fit your fingers on the fretboard. 7/8's is too close to full size to not get one. Myself and several others own this one:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-RA100D-Dreadnought-Guitar?sku=511192

374613.jpg

229084.jpg

They have good intonation, low action, quality tuners and sound great. I own several Martins, but this is the one I carry around. It's a workhorse. Ric

what do you guys think about a junior sized acoustic?
I have access to a steel stringed Gibson (dads) but Ideally I want something still small enough that I can just mess around with. I still like the idea of nylon strings though, so Im still not too sure of what to get.

Get what you like. I am getting a classical cause I never play my steel string...

I would say go with what you think you will play more. I have considered a 3/4 or a 1/2 scale but decided to go with the full length instead. My biggest suggestion would be to go to guitar center or yout local music store, and try out a 1/2 3/4 and full scale and see what You like. Also take your time... Just like a ukulele best to take time deciding before just going with whatever...

Looks like a good deal..... I have a Cordoba Dolche 7/8's that is wonderfull and the Cordoba Cadet beats out many nylon string guitars 3 times its price..... You could find these new on sale for 180.00......

Top Bottom