beginner advice

Reaction score
hellooo .
i'm pretty much new to the uke scene
& need some help choosing what to purchase .
i'm leaning towards a soprano uke
& was wondering which is best for a beginner .
i have just a teensie bit of musical background from the piano ,
but that was a long time ago .

thanks . :D

Welcome to UU. Why don't you check this thread, hopefully should answer your questions.

hellooo .
i'm pretty much new to the uke scene
& need some help choosing what to purchase .
i'm leaning towards a soprano uke
& was wondering which is best for a beginner .
i have just a teensie bit of musical background from the piano ,
but that was a long time ago .

thanks . :D

Personally I'd go for something larger than a soprano, either a concert or a tenor. The main reason is that I find sopranos so small that it's difficult to finger some chords and for some songs you are restricted because of the length of the neck and number of frets.

Welcome to the forum!

Have been playing a few years now but recall that my first uke was a Flea which turned out to really hook me. The Flea is probably a super soprano, or long neck soprano. I sold the first Flea and bought a pimped-out version with graphics and rosewood fretboard. The Flea remains my favorite over my many more expensive uke's.

My comment is that what ever size ukulele you buy, you will end up loving it. So do not delay, buy and start the strum.

thanks you guys ! :D
so i was researchin a bit &
i came across a thread that was talking about 12 frets & 18 frets ?
which one is more suitable for a beginner .

people suggested a tenor to begin with .. so i was wondering
which tenor would be best for someone like me ?
i want a nice sounding uke for under 150$ ..

Hey, don't get thrown off so easily! You knew enough to say explicitly that you are thinking about a soprano. I think sopranos are the coolest, and if you get a fairly decent one there is enough sound to enjoy and loads of pocketability as well!
Depending on where you are located you could 1) check out a shop and play a few in your budget, 2) go to a trustworthy online dealer and get one there (read around a bit and you will find out where to go soon enough).

Don't give up on the soprano yet, tenors are fine but a lot bigger and they may not answer the ukulele feeling you are looking for that well at first. Using the search function with "beginner uke" will give you plenty of discussions to read through as well. Get one quick and don't worry too much, just don't buy a $10 cheapie or you will be disappointed.

I agree with ukeninja, the soprano rules! The Flea is a few bucks over your stated price range (I think $169.00) but well worth it and great to learn on. Ultimately, find what you like to play and that will be the best uke for you. Have fun and welcome to the UU!

Size (soprano, concert, tenor) is largely personnal preference. If you can find a shop in your area that has a decent selection of ukes, you could see what feels most comfortable to you.
Most ukes will have more than 12 frets, but that is not a big concern for most beginnners.
The biggest mistake alot of beginners make is buying a cheapo uke, then regretting it and wanting something better in a month or two after they get hooked.

Welcome to UU! Here's a video comparison of the different sizes of ukuleles. These are Kamoa ukes that they sell at the UU store: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ORPxR0t7Pc

My first uke was a $50 Lanikai LU-21 soprano (it only has 12 frets) and I still play it alot. I think the concert is a good middle ground if you just don't know what size you want. I have found that I really like the soprano size, though. Especially when I leave the house, the soprano is the first one I reach for.

As far as the number of frets...that really only matters when you start getting into more complex songs and need notes in the upper registers. I don't think I've played anything past about the 7th fret.

ahahah ! :D
150$ , nice sound , pretty loud

for those that taught themselves thru online lessons
could you give me some helpful sites ? pls && ty :DD

sweet . i was actually looking at MGM's stuff & really liked the Kala Thinline one.
thaaaanks ! sooo much !
i'm for sure gonna get it now :D

Top Bottom