my kala 8 string mahogony is getting a seriously bad buzz

keithy351

Reaction score
g'day guys, well lately my kala 8 string is getting a really bad buzz in the 1st frets and now it seems to just be on neally every fret i play, do i need to change my strings, currently i aquilla strings on there but i dont reckon there the best strings for it, can anyone suggest what it may be, is it just time for a change of strings and string brand and if so what else is out there, or is it something worse :(

you gotta do the tap test...are you sure its the strings buzzing off the frets, nut or saddle or is it more of a body rattle? is you neck bowing either way? maybe your frets are working their way out for some reason, temperature/humidity change. if you got a square or ruler or something thats actually straight...lay it on the fretboard to see if the frets are even.

do you have wires inside rattling? Does it have a strap button? I had an uke that rattled like mad and it was just a loose strap button.

My Kala tuning machines were rattling. I took each one off, wrapped a little Scotch tape around the shaft to snug it up, and the rattle went away.

if you take a nickel and slid it under the strings at the twelfth fret does it touch the bottom of the strings or clear it? if it clears is the jack at the boom of the uke if electric loose or when you shake the body do you hear a slight metal rattle?

it was a small loose strew on one of the tuners, fixed, haha

if you take a nickel and slid it under the strings at the twelfth fret does it touch the bottom of the strings or clear it? if it clears is the jack at the boom of the uke if electric loose or when you shake the body do you hear a slight metal rattle?

Oooh, that sounds like a great test for uke action to me. They should have something like that for guitars too...or maybe there is and I don't know about it...

Top Bottom