Contests, and why I love 'em

SamWise

Reaction score
As everyone will be aware no doubt, I love being part of the community here. It's completely rekindled my love of playing and general interest in music, and for that I'm really grateful. One of the things I particularly love, though, is contests, and I realised that's because I'm essentially lazy and unmotivated. I love that contests give you a focus on something particular, and get me playing things I might not otherwise. I also find that, though I generally don't win, the fact of the prize gets me focussed on doing a good job. I'm someone who has ambitious ideas, but who also likes seeing immediate results, which means that those ideas get shelved sometimes whilst I knock out a spur of the moment number instead. Trying to win fancy ukes gets me much more focussed on interesting and complicated arrangements, and thankfully, I find that not winning doesn't dampen my enjoyment! Just being part of the community working on similar music is a great reward.

So, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has run contests, recently or in the past, and especially to Danielle, who's Shake Your Soul contest was just the most fun ever. Long may they continue!

HEAR HEAR! :shaka:

I completely agree...I would never find the motivation on my own to write an original song, and do enjoy immediate results even if it just comes in the form of youtube comments.

someday when I got waaaaaaaaaaaay to many ukes, I may find myself hosting one or two for the shear joy seeing community in action.

Well said, i feel the same. It's not even about winning the contest (but boy, is that a bonus!), having a theme makes it easier to choose a song to play and record. And I love to make vids :D

Unfortunately I don't have a video camera at the moment, which is why I have more colabs than solo songs. Oh, there's an idea for a contest. Enter song videos on youtube without the use of a camera and the winner wins a viddy camera. ;) Just a thought.

Sorry, I digress.

Yeah, contests, love them. Not just the taking part, but seeing all the other entries from the community. There are so many levels and styles of ukulele playing, and no matter how good you are you all have something great to offer.

Thanks to all that have held and taken part in contest. You have given us hours of entertainment and a reason to pick up our ukes! :shaka:

I agree with howard johnson agreeing with Sam johnson! Harumpf.
- blazing saddles reference incase you didnt catch it

I didn't get a Harumpf outta that guy!

Anyhoo... what I like about the contests is that, when people ask me why in the world I'm putting videos of myself playing the ukulele onto YouTube, I can say, "um... it's for a contest".

For some reason, that satisfies the muggles. If I just said, "oh, no reason in particular", they'd think I was insane. :p

JJ

Sam, I'm glad you posted this because I never understood the excitement about all the contests here. I see that they can serve a hidden purpose that I was not aware of. Personally, I never bother with them, since I don't like competitions and don't believe that a persons art or music should be competitive.

And, Good Luck to you!

I've only entered one contest so far, but it was a lot of fun, as well as being VERY helpful for my uke playing. Although I'm an experienced guitarist, I'm a relatively new uke player. I've found that my previously ill-conceived notions about limitations of the uke are quickly fading.

Like some others, I have to admit that I tend to be lazy. It's pretty easy just to keep playing the same stuff I've played for 30 years.

I'm ashamed to admit that it usually takes an upcoming gig to get me pick up the instruments and practice. But even then, it usually takes the challenge of playing at some themed venue outside the norm for me (for instance an Irish pub) to force me to learn new material and/or arrangements.

On the other hand, a contest helps me to continually think of how to improve my arrangement - especially since it's a solo arrangement. How can I incorporate the important hooks, horn lines, bass parts, whatever, onto the uke? Can I still play the increasingly complex rhythms while singing the melody? In a band (or multi tracked recording) it's easy. But, it's exciting to realize - hey, I CAN play that and sing at the same time!

Anyway I think contests are great fun - and great for improving your skills!

its not competitive...its fun

each person does what they feel at the time and the person with the item giveaway decides who's spirited effort merits their prize

I love contests. Even though I've never won one, I'll keep entering. Nothing like a deadline and a prize to get motivated!

I don't like competitions and don't believe that a persons art or music should be competitive.

And, Good Luck to you!

I kind of agree, and also not. For me, if I'm honest, the chance of a prize is a motivator, and I try really hard to better the other vids that are entered. I find that makes me willing to work hard and produce more work that I'm proud of. I don't think I would wish to enter one of my own songs to be judged, but my covers of other people's - I'm fine with that. However, that's not where the joy comes in. The joy comes from listening to what I've done and loving it, and often knowing that without the contest, I'd never have done that song. Also it comes from listening to other people's excellent work.

<gasp> RANDOLPH SCOTT!!> [reverant removal of my hat]
<heavenly choir> "Raaaan-dooolf Scooooott..."

Greatest movie EVER! :worship:

I love contests. Even though I've never won one, I'll keep entering. Nothing like a deadline and a prize to get motivated!

if seeso has never won one.. then i KNOW ill never win one lol .. but hey i like the challenge ! i think the contests are a blast and i love them ! they are actually what got me turned onto uu :D i saw the deach mmbop contest or something .. i dont remember.. but I LOVE EM

Top Bottom