uke for outdoor use

mikeeG7th

Reaction score
Any suggestion what is a good-sounding ukulele that I can use outdoors and leave in the car to use -- and not worry about it cracking on me because it left it outside for too long? :anyone:

Certainly stay away from ukes made of solid woods. Some of the laminates sound quite good, and are tougher than the solids.

Not sure anything is more durable than a Flea or Fluke.

Applause? I would think they would be juat as tollerable as well right?

Another vote for Fleas/Flukes. Mine get played outdoors (in hot, humid South Florida) all the time, and occasionally spend hot afternoons in a car. Just keep a Phillips screwdriver handy, as you will occasionally need to adjust the friction tuners.

I agree with some others here regarding the Flukes and Fleas. My Flea has been left in the car for a few hours on hot days before. No problems whatsoever. I have the plastic fretboard, so that may make a difference too.

It's also great to take on hikes. It just fits in the backpack and I don't have to worry about it.

The plastic back makes for a good, durable percussion instrument too!

dang, just carry it around with you...I take it into restaurants and stores. Last week I took a cigar box uke & mandolin into a restaurant. Aint no way, I'm leaving them in a car and they are probably more durable than a plastic flea since a cigar box aint coming apart

thanks for all the helpful input!! now time to look for a used one :)

I'm starting to give thought to what would survive being in the trunk of my motorcycle (not constantly; just once in awhile), so this is all useful.

--Mark

I just bought a Fluke for this exact reason. I think it's made to withstand lots of travel and outdoor use. It even comes with a padded bag with shoulder straps for easy carrying. The plastic body also gives off a pretty loud sound which suits outdoor use well. I can't say enough good things about my Fluke when it comes to being a durable uke.

I would never leave my Fluke or Flea in the car. The biggest problem with ukes left in hot cars is when the glue on the bridge heats up and the bridge pops off.

My car ukulele is a Triumph. They build those with the bridge screwed on, so there's no chance the heat will cause an issue. They're cheap, sturdy, and kinda funky looking to boot.

My Ovation Applause UAE20 acoustic/electric soprano has spent o good portion of the last two years in my car in sunny San Diego, California. I also played it on an open boat off 100 islands in the China Sea in the Philippines last year. It's like a Timex - Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. Ric

Top Bottom