PDA

View Full Version : My first uke

schubs
08-29-2009, 06:18 PM
I just got a Makala MK-S today. I am now addicted to ukuleles. I am thinking about getting a better ukulele around christmas time or when i have enough money. I was wondering about which brand and what type of ukulele i should get. I need one no more than $250.

the.ronin
08-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Nice!

H1N1 aint got nuthin on the UAS. :D

KC8AFW
08-29-2009, 06:32 PM
Congratulations on your new uke...and welcome to UU!

My personal opinion for the budget you specified, I would go with a Mainland Ukulele (http://www.mainlandukes.com/). I have the mahogany concert and love it. And the owner is a member here and all-around great guy.

schubs
08-29-2009, 06:48 PM
UAS sucks. i wish i was a billionaire and could buy a whole bunch of ukes. Thanks for the help. those ukes look pretty good.

Playscool39
08-30-2009, 01:07 AM
Oh no the UAS bug hit you hard:DCongrats with the Makala!

Captain_Lovehandles
08-30-2009, 01:32 AM
+1 on the Mainland. There were several at the SE Ukes jam yesterday, all happy owners.:shaka:

I have a mahogany concert as well.

yookyoolayleeh
08-30-2009, 01:49 AM
While you're working on your letter to Santa Claus there are a few things you can do to improve your current uke. First, you could get a new set of strings (Aquila Nyglut, or Worth maybe - do some research) and second, if you haven't got one already, I highly recommend an electronic clip-on tuner (I have the one that the UU store sells, and it's great).

Enjoy your uke!

schubs
08-30-2009, 08:56 AM
i already have a clip on tuner. i might buy some new strings though. what about a fluke ukulele? those look pretty cool.

Brewerpaul
08-30-2009, 10:27 AM
As radical as it may sound to people here, I'd suggest playing the heck out of your current uke and get pretty good on it before thinking of another.
As a newbie, you don't really know yet what you want a uke to sound like or play like. Once you're more proficient on the instrument, you'll be in a better position to say "I wish my uke sounded a bit more (fill in the blank)" or "I want a uke that has (fill in the feature{s})".

I make high end ($250), handcrafted wooden pennywhistles and sometimes I'll get emails from newbies saying that they're brand new to the instrument and want information on mine: what the different woods sound like, are they tunable, etc. I answer their questions, but I also tell them to go learn to play on their cheap (but very serviceable) whistles and come back when they can play 6-8 tunes pretty well. There are a lot of whistle makers out there and all of the different whistles have a different personality and sound. I'd rather risk losing a sale, but know that when I sell that whistle, the buyer will really love it rather than ending up seeing it for sale on eBay because it wasn't just what they were looking for. I'd imagine that custom uke makers feel the same.

Don't worry: when you get good on the uke, there will still be plenty of good ones out there!